Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,, Here is the deal I have a 78 KZ 1000 that my friend and I custom fabricated so it really does not look like a KZ anymore. It ran fine but a couple of nights ago we took her out for a show. Ran fine to the show. We only stayed there for about 45 minutes so the engine was still warm. Bike turned on fine but half way home it started to hesitate as if it wanted to stall.

It got home but riding it almost at idle speed. When we got home and I shut her off, I tried to turn it on again and the battery was dead.

I kicked started it and turned on but with the hesitation again until it died again.

We have a bike shop and have worked on bikes before but this one got me.

Here is what I did so far

I checked the battery and it has good charge.
Voltage regulator is working fine.
Fuel pump also working fine

The only thing I haven't tested is the ignition coils.

Do you all think that maybe when they start getting hot they start misfiring? Would this be something I should check?

I wish I can work out of a book but unfortunately there are a lot of things this bike has that a book will not show.

Please if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. You can post here of send me an email at [email protected]

Here is a picture of it.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Ignition coils can certainly break down when hot. I had the same problem with my GPz.
Cold= ran great
Hot= ran like crap
I put inline spark testers in and found that one coil would give out intermitten spark when hot. Sometimes it would fire one cylinder and not the other and change out which cylinder fired with no rhyme or reason. And at other times it would drop spark to both cylinders for a cycle or two. The only difference is that when mine did that it would idle OK but to ride it I had to keep the rpms up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is about the same thing I was thinking that at one point or another one of the coils is either not working correctly or just stop working completely.

Thanks, will test in the morning and update.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Yep change the coils!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts