Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i bought this bike 2 days ago, i tried starting it today but it wouldnt start,i might have flooded it too, but i was curious the guy has 50w synthetic in it i was wondering is that why it wouldnt start?? i am going to start again tomorrow it was 50degrees out when i tried today also another reason it wouldnt start idk could it?? what do you all think the guy says it has a new battery and he just changed the plugs but the voltage was around 12, but dropped really low and quick .. soo anyone wanna shoot ideas ill take them !! thanks jake!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
A bit short on information. You haven't even mentioned if you know if the bike runs or not. Did you hear it run or drive it before you got it? Do you know any history on the bike as in has it been sitting in storage, a daily rider etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
soory about that,i met the guy he started it sounded nice ran strong, he drove it to my house on a trailer its been in my garage theres no heat in it, but its been there for 2 days as for daily rider i dont believe so, the bike has 34k and some change... he said he put new battery and plugs in it, but showed no proof, he saikd cause of the oil and the cold he thinks thats why it doesnt like to start.. any ideas.. thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also i did try starting it for a while maybe hr, and a half on and off. i think i might of flooded it, i did have to hook the bike up and jump it i did use a car IT WASNT ON, but still the voltage dropped very quickly when it was on the jumpers,it never read over 12 but cam close after trying to turn it over id check and it be under the 10 voltage mark, im gonna try again tomorrow this time with the choke fully open in the beginning, unless you guys have a better idea, let me know thanks alot jake!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
So you are saying you've never seen or heard the bike run? Don't rely on/trust what the po said because he's motivated to sell the bike. While colder temps and heavier weight oil might cause it to turn over a bit slower I've never seen that able to prevent one from starting. Since it's synthetic oil I'm not even sure if the weight would be an issue or not.

Since you can't confirm that it runs, I'd say you need to start with some basic things. If it's not turning over good I'd say you need to test the battery or get it tested before you try to go much further.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i saw it run the night i met the guy it started within two minutes of hime trying. then i got it home(on a trailer) idk if its because i let it sit in my garage with no heat for 2 days or if the battery needs to be replaced and i flooded it ealier, i heard the battery clicking wich i know means its low or drained so im hoping its nothing but something small and me flooding the bike earlier, i will hook the bike up tommorrow again and try..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd venture to bet that two days in the garage w/o heat would have no effect on the bike's starting. Sounds like the battery is dead and that won't help your situation any. As for flooding, why do you think that? Strong smell of gas? How long did the bike run for when you heard it run? What did he have to do to get it started? You said it took less than two minutes, it should take only a few seconds really. I wouldn't move the trottle at all to start the bike, just rely on the choke to do the work needed to start the bike in the cold. My 95 zx6r won't start w/o the choke on moderately cool mornings. As Stargate said, I would look past the oil as well, hardly a strong candidate for your issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it was the battery i think, but any ways i got it jumped by my car again but this time again holding the start button and choking the bike i got it going after a while! It sounded good and was idling fine but my cousin hopped on it and ****ed something up with the throttle cable around the brake lever and one under neath the seat to the actual throttle i assume.. so now it has been idling around 4,4.5grand , anyone know how to adjust it back or info how tooo tune it back it happens averytime i start it so i need to fix that quick. Also the gear shifting patern is nuetral shift down into first then 5 up?(if yes) what makes the 2nd gear sahift miss nuetral you know what im trying to ask.. thanks

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the idle with the idle adjustment knob? Did you tighten the cable adjustment up by the front brake or mess with that adjustment at all?
1st down, the rest are all up. It's hard to hit neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd with the bike rolling. It's supposed to stop in neutral if the bike is stopped but if yours is hitting neutral when your riding then try to apply a little more up pressure when you shift.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
umm i saw him screwing around with the one by the brake handle and then hey was doing something with the ones down lower on the bike.. Im gonna go out tommorrow and try and undo his fix, any ideas where i should start top by the brake or under neath the seat by the other cables... okay that nakes sence about the shifting.. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would start by turning the idle screw out completely. (not as in removed, but as in not idling higher than no throttle) You should be able to see the screw touching the actual trottle carriage(the semi circle brass thing the cable goes to) from the right hand side of your bike. Also, make sure you've pulled the choke all the way off once the bike is cranked and has warmed up. Otherwise, it will idle high everytime. Not to mention not run if you try to ride. If it still idles high with the idle screw @ the carbs all the way out, then start backing off the set nut on the handle end of the cable. If that is the case, I would take it back till the bike dies and then add some to the actual idle screw, since you have it all the way out and that is where the main adjustment should take place. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are you talking about the screw underneath the seat that the cable runs through or is connected too? should when i give the bike gas the throttle turn back by itself? idk but i always thought they did im really not nolegable so i didnt know if there was something sticking... i will give the idleing issue a shot tommorrow...

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
On the left (while seated on the bike) side below the gas tank you should find a knob that you can turn with your fingers. Turn this counter clockwise until the engine comes down to a 1k ish idle. If the idle will not go that low with the know adjustment then take it as low as it will go then make a couple of extra turns in the same direction. Now with that adjustment made, if it's still idling higher than 1k, loosen the lock nut on the throttle cable adjuster up at the throttle grip. Then turn the cable end so it moves toward the nut. Continue turning it until the idle goes below 1k or the engine dies. Once it gets below 1k or dies stop adjusting that one and tighten the nut. Then use the adjustment below the tank to get the idle to where you want it. Clockwise for higher rpm, counter clockwise for lower rpm.

The throttle grip should return to idle position by it's self. With the engine off, rotate the grip to full throttle position and then release it. It should snap back to idle with a crisp movement. If it doesn't then there is a bind in the throttle somewhere. Most likely in the cable but it could also be inside the grip housing or at the carb linkage. If it doesn't return to idle you may be able to lube the throttle cable and get it working but it could require a new cable or it may have a kink in the cable from improper routing. You will just have to look at all of these things to figure out where the problem is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not to be contrary, but on my zx6r the idle adjustment is on the right. There is a little cable with an adjustment knob on it that makes for easy idle adjustment. I'm posting some pics to help make things clearer.

First pic is the actual idle screw visible from the right, under the tank, this may be different on your particular model, but should look very similar. You can visually check to see how far this screw is in and how the carriage reacts to your throttle release. Mine gets stuck open sometimes because the right hand grip likes to slide off a little. It could be a bad cable like StarGate said as well. Be sure to check those things he mentioned.

Second pic is of the idle adjustment knob I mentioned, also on the right hand side when sitting on the bike, this is what you turn to adjust the idle. Clockwise should increase the idle, ccw should decrease. The other cable with an actual adjustment nut on it is the clutch.

Attachments

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Not to be contrary, but on my zx6r the idle adjustment is on the right.
I'm fully aware that not all idle adjustments are located in the same place. That is why I looked at the parts breakdown for his bike at kawasaki.com before posting and it shows it to be on the left side. Of course errors have been found at their site before so it wouldn't be the first time and adding the extra info can't hurt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay heres what i found, the idle adjustment is on the left and that deffinetly helped with the idle, okay the bad news i need a diafram it goes where the on,pri,res lever is i just need to get the money is whats waiting for that, also i took apart the handle throttle box i put everything back the way it should of but it didnt help i then tried combinations of loosening and tightening the tensioners underneath the gas tank i couldnt get the throttle to snap back and i dont know enough of how to tell if the wire/line is bad.. i took pictures but im clueless how to attach them, they are on my desktp.. if you can help me get them up maybe you can tell or point me in a better direction with the tensioners..... thanks

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
You can try this to find out where the problem is. Disconnect the cables from the grip end, then pull the cable end with your fingers and let go. If it snaps back like this then the problem is in the grip. If it still doesn't snap back then the problem is most likely a cable that needs to be lubed.

If you don't have a cable lube tool there are other ways to lube it. One way is with a ziploc baggie and some rubberbands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay i gave that a shot i found out my throttle opening cable snapped back but my close cable did not, i believe the cables been stretched i tried lubing and spray lubricant down it nothing changed, so i am gonna buy both brand new opening and close cables along with that diaghram..i am gonna try and get it from powersportpro.com have any of you bought from there or know of other places that would be good too? thanks! also i can get the bike started but it need to be jumped by car it needs alot of help, the battery dies and starts to click if you were to try and start it with the battery itself, any ideas? thanks also battery is new.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
I buy most of my maint items from Z1enterprises. They have even gotten items for me that they don't really carry as a stock item and it was just as good on price as what I could find shopping around. Never dealt with the co. you mentioned so no idea on them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.