Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to everything so bare with me.

I recently sparked some interest in sport bikes. After doing some research, i found that the best one to get for me is the Kawasaki 250R.

I'm planning on buying it soon but the thing is that i don't know how to ride a bike. I know that they're manual, where's the clutch? shifter?. Is it just like driving a stick on a car?

I'm planning to buy a brand new one from the dealer which will cost $2999. Do you think it's a good idea?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Welcome and you are starting on the right foot by asking questions.

I strongly recommend that you take a Motorcycle Safety Course in your area.

http://msf-usa.org/

The instruction will give you the basics that you are seeking.

Good luck

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
take the MSF course and you'll be in much better shape than you are now. They go over the basics so you'll understand shifting and the clutch and all before you jump on your bike.

·
Registered
134 Posts
kroze said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to everything so bare with me.

I recently sparked some interest in sport bikes. After doing some research, i found that the best one to get for me is the Kawasaki 250R.

>>Good choice!

I'm planning on buying it soon but the thing is that i don't know how to ride a bike. I know that they're manual, where's the clutch? shifter?. Is it just like driving a stick on a car?

>> Not used like a car, you clutch with your left hand and shift with your left foot. The feel of the shifter and clutch is like a standard transmission car - so if you can drive a stick, you are that far ahead.

I'm planning to buy a brand new one from the dealer which will cost $2999. Do you think it's a good idea?
>> I would advise finding a used one, but the new Ninja 250s are actually good deals too - as mlong as the dealer doesn't mark it up above retail.

If you can ride a bicycle, then taking the MSF course should get you started very nicely on a Ninja 250, they may even have that model for your use in class. They supply the bikes and teach you the basics and then some.

·
Registered
605 Posts
sign up for MSF then until your classes start read the complete idiots guide to motorcycle's, not only is it entertaining it's also educational, you'll learn all the basics, along with the history of motorcycles, engines, cruisers, sportbikes, dual-sport, and it will help you in the long run since it's policies on riding coincide nicely with that of the MSF handbook

·
Registered
456 Posts
Congratulations! A motorcycle is a great form of transportation. And the Ninja 250R (aka EX250) is a great motorcycle.

I would suggest step 1: Go to your local DMV and get the motorcycle manual. It will have all the information you need for basic operation of the motorcycle. Unfortunately, that information is written. It will help you to pass the written test, but it won't help you as much as you need to really learn how to ride a motorcycle. For that, you need . . .

Step 2: the safety course. It is a fabulous course for new and old riders. Everyone can learn something there.

Step 3: I would suggest a used Ninja 250. You're very likely to wreck it sooner or later (more likely sooner), and wouldn't you rather wreck an old one so you can then buy a new one? If you are diligent and patient, you can find used ones in the $1200-1500 range. That's a lot less than what a dealer will charge you for a new one, and you'll save money on insurance, too, unless you pay cash for the new one and you don't carry collision/comprehensive insurance.

By the way, we seem to be having a little difference of opinion going on on this board. I'd love to hear what quotes you get from dealers for "out the door" prices. The best prices I've ever heard were $3,400, and I've head from a lot of people that bought new Ninja 250's. Most people pay in the $3,600-3,900 range. Compare that to your $1,500 used one.
Curt
Curt

·
Registered
16 Posts
On that note.

One of my local dealers had a new carryover 2002 Ninja 250 on his website for $2300.

-Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts