Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys. Im having a problem w/ my bike. The other day i went to start it and the nattery was dead. So i tried to roll start it down the driveway and when i put it into first the motor started to turn, then something popped and the bike started to free roll down the driveway. Now, the bike rolls forward as if it were in neutral and the clutch cable is floppy and it feels like its not attached to anything but i cant pull it out of the sheath, which means it is still connected. The transmission clicks through the gears with no problem, but before this happened there was a clicking sound coming from the chain or front sprocket, only on left hand turns. Any ideas will help, just doin some research before i open it up because i am not very mechanical. Thanx.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Although you described the problem pretty well, it might help if you gave general info such as the year and model of your bike. Someone with direct knowledge of your bike's transmission/clutch setup could help.

Also, does it freewheel in neutral only, or does it do it through all the gears? It sounds like you could have broken a tooth off of one (or several) of your gears.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, its a 1989 fzr600 picked it up to tool around on, really wanted a zx6r but maybe next year. it freewheels in every gear as if the clutch was enguaged, but the transmission does "click" into every gear. the bike otherwise is in pretty good shape for an 89, and i wish i could know the extent of what has to be done, so i dont wind up wasting time and money on a 16 year old motorcycle. as long as its not the trans, i wont mind fixing it.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
well bad news is you DEF. broke something within the tranny that i would put money on will require the cases being split bummer man, next time put the bike in 3rd/4th gear and pullin the clutch.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just because it sounds like your bike is going into all the gears, it could just be your shift drum turning every time you try to change gears. Chances are you broke one, or multiple teeth off a transmission gear, or broke one of the internal shift forks on your shift drum. In short, your transmission is probably screwed and it's going to cost a lot of money to have a shop fix it. I would pick up a shop manual and try to fix it myself. I had a transmission gear shatter during a ride and bounce around my transmission and take two more with it. It took me a while to get the engine out, fix the problem, and put it all back together, but I was working and going to school full time. If you have decent mechanical ability and can follow directions you should be alright. Good luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx guys i guess ill have to clear my schedule until june.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ha ha turns out the nut fell off the front sprocket. It'll be back on the road tommmorow, or whenever i find someone who carries that sprocket nut. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts