Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Dude abides...
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike: 1998 Vulcan Classic

Problem: Bike won't start

Symptoms: When the key is turned- normal lights come on. When starter button is pushed- nothing

What has been done: Checked the battery- charged. Cleaned the terminals anyway.

Story: So late last week I see I might have a chance to take out my bike so I make sure to charge my battery in case it has lost any juice. My 'window' happens and I go out to start the bike. I turn the key, push the starter and "buuuuuuzzzzzzz" but the bike won't catch and turn over. Figure maybe my battery is basically shot, but maybe I just didn't have the charger set correctly... So I jumped it from my wifes van (it was off).

Starts up. So I then run down to the corner store. About 15 miles later (I took the long way) I pull up to Safeway, turn off my bike and go in. Come out a few minutes later, get ready to leave and now I get nothing when I push the starter button. Silence. So I make sure its outta gear, pull in the clutch, fiddle with the kill switch, but nothing. Call my wife and she comes with cables and my bike will start with the help of jumper cables again.

I searched earlier this week and heard talk of some clutch safety mechanism that can corrode, somebody mentioned the kickstand and its sensor in one of the way back posts. I have no clue. Any ideas before I take it to the shop and start dropping money? Is my starter shot? Did I damage it by jumping it. It's not the first time I've jumped my bike but I don't make a habit out of it.

Anyone?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
By jumping, you basically are elimating the battery from the system. You did not state how old the battery is, but I would guess that it is due for replacement. After my experience with batteries, I am going to replace mine every two years in the spring.

·
The Dude abides...
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wish it was the battery --still do. I bought the battery at the beginning of last summer. Took it out for most of the winter. Granted, it's not the top o the line battery, but... My charger says it's charged and the voltometer shows it hovers between 10 and 11 if I'm using it correclty.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
wish it was the battery --still do. I bought the battery at the beginning of last summer. Took it out for most of the winter. Granted, it's not the top o the line battery, but... My charger says it's charged and the voltometer shows it hovers between 10 and 11 if I'm using it correclty.
10 to 11 volts? Should show 12 to 12.5 in charged state.

·
Hangin' by a thread.....
619 Posts
Check each cell in the battery for the proper water level. If no problem there, battery is probably shot. Charge it overnight and bring it to a Pepboys or Autozone and let them load test it. If the bike starts with a jump, and you're only showing voltage readings under 12 volts on the battery itself, especially after a charge, that means the battery is shot.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Bike: 1998 Vulcan Classic

Problem: Bike won't start

Symptoms: When the key is turned- normal lights come on. When starter button is pushed- nothing

What has been done: Checked the battery- charged. Cleaned the terminals anyway.

Story: So late last week I see I might have a chance to take out my bike so I make sure to charge my battery in case it has lost any juice. My 'window' happens and I go out to start the bike. I turn the key, push the starter and "buuuuuuzzzzzzz" but the bike won't catch and turn over. Figure maybe my battery is basically shot, but maybe I just didn't have the charger set correctly... So I jumped it from my wifes van (it was off).

Starts up. So I then run down to the corner store. About 15 miles later (I took the long way) I pull up to Safeway, turn off my bike and go in. Come out a few minutes later, get ready to leave and now I get nothing when I push the starter button. Silence. So I make sure its outta gear, pull in the clutch, fiddle with the kill switch, but nothing. Call my wife and she comes with cables and my bike will start with the help of jumper cables again.

I searched earlier this week and heard talk of some clutch safety mechanism that can corrode, somebody mentioned the kickstand and its sensor in one of the way back posts. I have no clue. Any ideas before I take it to the shop and start dropping money? Is my starter shot? Did I damage it by jumping it. It's not the first time I've jumped my bike but I don't make a habit out of it.

Anyone?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Been there...frustrating as hell ain't it???

Bad battery...don't care what the meters show. Buy a new full-strength Yasua....should be good to go for a few years.

Slots

·
The Dude abides...
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone was right; I was wrong. Bought a new battery- good to go. Wish I could keep myself from expecting the worst. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts