Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m considering purchasing a 2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R. It is used but with only 150 miles. The dude selling it says that he bought it for his wife, but she’s just too scared to ride. I did go and check out the bike. Bike seems to be in immaculate condition. By way of mods, the only thing he’s done is lower it by an inch. It helps my situation since I’m not very tall. Love the bike, but it just seems too good to be true. The asking price is $7000!... may come down a tad bit. He bought it from the dealership in June ’07 and as I mentioned, has only 150 miles on it!. Apparently the lowering costs another $500 (maybe a stretch). Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Does lowering do anything to the warranty? I was considering the Triumph Daytona 675 over the 6R, but this just seems to be great deal. Tempted to go ahead, but at the same time a bit skeptical. He does have the title. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated! Help!!

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Ask a dealer about your warranty question. 08's are around 9 to 9,400 msrp. Sounds like a decent deal. Is it a bike you really like or is the triumph what you really want? You're the one that's going to ride it. You're asking on a Kawi forum, if you should get it or a triumph. If it fits you, and you like it, get it. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey jbsmd... thanks for the prompt response! Sorry I gave the impression that I was needing reassurance to buy the 6R over the Triumph.. that too on a Kawi forum... yes, that would be stupid! :) ... What I was really trying to say is that I was debating between the two (D675 and 6R) when I came across this great (seemingly) deal and I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on what to look for in the 6R to rule out any 'catches'...of course, any other advice/suggestions are welcome...
and yes, I will check on the dealer to verify if lowering does anything to the warranty... also, I was hoping to get some responses on whether lowering has any negative affects on riding, bike etc.... again, thx for the prompt response!!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a good deal - looks like the guy is basically just trying to get rid of it after having made a REAL stupid decision!!! (how can you drop 9 grand on a bike and throw in another 500 bucks to get it lowered without having the certainty that the person you are buying it for will ride it???).

As regards the warranty, I'm pretty sure the fact that it's been lowered WOULD render the warranty nil on the case of structural damage to the suspension/chassis. It would have no effect on damage to the engine, on the other hand. But yes, you must check that out with somebody competent :smile:

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 2 cents....go for the Kawi. Sounds like a great deal on a (might as well call it) brand new bike. With Kawi parts and acc. are easier to find and usually a little cheapier than the 675. But saying that...buy which ever bike you really want the most. Maybe you could keep the bike longer than 18 months like me:biggrin:

The lowering link should not effect the warranty, but as stated above double check your local dealer. Had a buddy who had a problem with the starter on 600 Yamaha and the local dealer here (who is now out of business) tried to tell him the warranty was void since the bike was modified....WITH A TINTED WINDSCREEN!! How much since does that make. He took it to another dealer a little further away and fixed the starter with no problem. Just check to see what kind of dealer is in your area.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Lowering does change the geometry of the bike, which does affect handling. You may or may not notice it, especially for general road riding. Lowering the bike doesn't cost anywhere near that, but if he paid the dealership to do, the number sounds about right. The 675 is a great bike, but one of the negatives is the high saddle, which could be problematic for you.

Tell us a little about yourself and why you are in the market for a new bike.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Aside from the warranty thing, that seems like a fine deal. It's not even close to broken in yet. That being said, don't buy it if you don't love it. Getting a good price won't change your true desire, and you might regret it later. Get what you want the first time & ride happy!

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
I’m considering purchasing a 2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R. It is used but with only 150 miles. The dude selling it says that he bought it for his wife, but she’s just too scared to ride. I did go and check out the bike. Bike seems to be in immaculate condition. By way of mods, the only thing he’s done is lower it by an inch. It helps my situation since I’m not very tall. Love the bike, but it just seems too good to be true. The asking price is $7000!... may come down a tad bit. He bought it from the dealership in June ’07 and as I mentioned, has only 150 miles on it!. Apparently the lowering costs another $500 (maybe a stretch). Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Does lowering do anything to the warranty? I was considering the Triumph Daytona 675 over the 6R, but this just seems to be great deal. Tempted to go ahead, but at the same time a bit skeptical. He does have the title. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated! Help!!
New one is $8300 out here OTD...You got yourself a deal...If he lowered the rear by an inch make sure the front is lowered a tad as well or as close to an inch as you can. Then adjust your suspension. Daytona 675? Dude that bike is taller than any of the newer 600s and as far as lowering it, there is no option except a $300+ one...Don't bother. To lower that bike should cost no more than $200...So he is inflating the price or admitting what that the dealership took him for a ride. Don't pass on it. Move.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice bike and a good price. The price isn't "too good to be true" so I wouldn't worry that you're getting a lemon. I say this because I had a friend pick up a new '07 ZX-6 locally from a dealer for a steal. If this guy got a similar deal then selling the bike for 7k isn't killing him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys... thanks a ton!! Really appreciate every piece of advice/suggestion in here. Definitely helped me clear a couple of things... I hadn't really considered lowering any of the bikes till I saw this one. I've been riding for a long time and not being able to 'flat-foot' doesn't bother me a lot... but being able to do so does add to the experience! :) ... Since we were discussing it, just as an FYI - the D675 is only about .2 inches (32.5 in) more than the zx6 (32.3 in)... also, from the little research I did, the general consensus about lowering is - 1) Should be done with caution i.e. by someone who knows enough about it; 2) Depending on how low it is, turning on tracks is an issue i.e. tilting reduces with the degree of lowering...
I'm not much into tracks, so I'm guessing that's not going to bother me a great deal if I go with this. Now I just have to verify if the lowering has been done right. I know a couple of mechanics in my area so I guess that should be easy.

Well, that's that about the progress at my end. To answer Xeon's question - day job is program management at a telecom corp.... have been riding since high school... got into a nasty fall in the last year of high school and stopped riding since... got drawn back about a year back and since I've been a die-hard naked enthusiast.. had a Honda 599 (hornet) till recently.... sold it to buy a Triumph Speed Triple and then my brother came along and got me hooked to sports... loved the D675 till I saw the '07 zx6..... hopefully I'll be getting my first supersport soon!!

Again, thanks a lot guys.... feel free to forward anything else that comes to your mind! Will keep you posted! :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Lowering is not a prob, but it cost me about 40 bucks to do my wifes bike and general rule of thumg is to lower the front as much as the rear.
The front is easy enough as most people just slide the fork tubes up in the triple trees. Only negative is that the fairing is now closer to the ground and I have notice if I hit a bump hard my front fender will contact the inner part of the fairing , Handling wise I like it better now that its lower.
If he didn't buy an aftermarket warranty there is only 6 months left to his warranty and if you aren't in a warm climate then there wont be much lef for you anyway...you could always extend it I guess though.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
The lowering effects handling talk is a bunch of BS...It effects it when the changes are huge like 2 inches...We are talking 1inch rear and 3/4 inch up front...If anything it will turn quicker...I know since I have had 2 bikes lowered front and back and also my 10R is lowered half an inch up front...The only concern is you should get your suspension tweaked after. I mean adjusting it not redoing it. Tip toeing is not a problem at all...I have never dropped a bike...However, the half an inch is a ton bro...Just as you lower a bike half an inch...Raising it half is a ton...I sat on the 675 and was considering it before I got my 10R...It is tall. You will know if he did it right by looking at the links in the rear...There really is no way to do it wrong...The big concern is the front...You may not be able to lower the front more if your forks are too tapered. BTW...It is night and day difference if you lower the front accordingly...You will actually feel comfy.

Guys... thanks a ton!! Really appreciate every piece of advice/suggestion in here. Definitely helped me clear a couple of things... I hadn't really considered lowering any of the bikes till I saw this one. I've been riding for a long time and not being able to 'flat-foot' doesn't bother me a lot... but being able to do so does add to the experience! :) ... Since we were discussing it, just as an FYI - the D675 is only about .2 inches (32.5 in) more than the zx6 (32.3 in)... also, from the little research I did, the general consensus about lowering is - 1) Should be done with caution i.e. by someone who knows enough about it; 2) Depending on how low it is, turning on tracks is an issue i.e. tilting reduces with the degree of lowering...
I'm not much into tracks, so I'm guessing that's not going to bother me a great deal if I go with this. Now I just have to verify if the lowering has been done right. I know a couple of mechanics in my area so I guess that should be easy. 675 is a nice bike though...Twice I have looked at Triumphs..The 650 then the 675...Each time a Kawi won my heart.

Well, that's that about the progress at my end. To answer Xeon's question - day job is program management at a telecom corp.... have been riding since high school... got into a nasty fall in the last year of high school and stopped riding since... got drawn back about a year back and since I've been a die-hard naked enthusiast.. had a Honda 599 (hornet) till recently.... sold it to buy a Triumph Speed Triple and then my brother came along and got me hooked to sports... loved the D675 till I saw the '07 zx6..... hopefully I'll be getting my first supersport soon!!

Again, thanks a lot guys.... feel free to forward anything else that comes to your mind! Will keep you posted! :)

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Lowering is not a prob, but it cost me about 40 bucks to do my wifes bike and general rule of thumg is to lower the front as much as the rear.
The front is easy enough as most people just slide the fork tubes up in the triple trees. Only negative is that the fairing is now closer to the ground and I have notice if I hit a bump hard my front fender will contact the inner part of the fairing , Handling wise I like it better now that its lower.
If he didn't buy an aftermarket warranty there is only 6 months left to his warranty and if you aren't in a warm climate then there wont be much lef for you anyway...you could always extend it I guess though.
+1.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've been a die-hard naked enthusiast.. had a Honda 599 (hornet) till recently.... sold it to buy a Triumph Speed Triple and then my brother came along and got me hooked to sports... loved the D675 till I saw the '07 zx6..... hopefully I'll be getting my first supersport soon!!

Those 599's are nice bikes. If I had more space and my wife didn't mind the toys I already have, I'd like to have one. Anyway, with your reply in mind, I'd get that ZX-6R now. Show up with cash and you might get another $500 off. His asking is below retail, so he may or may not jump at your offer. Try for $6.5K, be ready to pay $7K.

BTW, what sort of telecom are you in? If you're in satellite telecom, shoot me a PM. Hate to mix business and pleasure, but we bikers should stick together. ;)

In regards to the warranty, I don't think lowering affects it. Best bet is to call Kawi direct since IME dealerships often have their own version of what is/isn't the case. My guess is no although someone might argue with you that a suspension failure might be due to the lowering process. Kawi also gives the bike owner the option to extend the warranty at year one, you might discuss this with the seller. I'm not a big fan of warranties, but sometimes they do come in handy I suppose.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
... Since we were discussing it, just as an FYI - the D675 is only about .2 inches (32.5 in) more than the zx6 (32.3 in)...
As someone who has sat her butt on many bikes, I will say that it's not just the seat height but also the shape/placement of the seat. You may find there is more that a .3 difference if you sit on them.

As far as lowering I know the 650r has a "short seat" (Minus 1 inch) and a "tall seat" (Plus 1 inch) option that you can buy for around $270-$299. I don't know if the zx6r has something similar. Probably not if he spent that much to have it lowered.

And, what was that guy thinking getting his wife a zx6r as a starter if she was new/nervous? Even I wouldn't get one of those. He probably wanted it for himself and she is making him sell it ;).

·
Registered
122 Posts
As someone who has sat her butt on many bikes, I will say that it's not just the seat height but also the shape/placement of the seat. You may find there is more that a .3 difference if you sit on them.

As far as lowering I know the 650r has a "short seat" (Minus 1 inch) and a "tall seat" (Plus 1 inch) option that you can buy for around $270-$299. I don't know if the zx6r has something similar. Probably not if he spent that much to have it lowered.

And, what was that guy thinking getting his wife a zx6r as a starter if she was new/nervous? Even I wouldn't get one of those. He probably wanted it for himself and she is making him sell it ;).
Happens all the time, and tho some aren't ready for bikes, it makes a nice buy for us riders ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts