Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I have a 99 500R and I need to change the clutch cable along with that adjusting screw thing by the lever. I need to know how to do this if anyone knows how, I would deeply appreciate it. It would also be cool if someone emailed me some scans or the exact directions from a repair manual, because mine has not arrived yet :(

Thank you Very much!
Jonathan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ummm, I can't see any difficulties in this task. You just take it off and put the new instead. Same routing and remember the freeplay by the clutch lever.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Okay, when you pull the clutch lever in (slowly), you notice a slight freeplay. The freeplay is about 2-3 mm measured by the lever's pivot point. After that 2-3 mm, you'll notice when the clutch starts to disengage. This freeplay guarantees, that your clutch is fully engaged while driving...

During the freeplay, the cable moves freely.

Actually this is such an easy thing to do, so if you have no idea what you're doing, buy a repair manual or take it to somebody who knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A foot note would be to make sure the cable is well lubed. Mine certainly felt a lot better after having some engine oil forced down it. Kinda transformed the feel of the clutch. The manual talks about cable lubricant but my motor factor has never heard of anything like that, wonder what everyone else uses?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also use simple engine oil lubing my cables. It keeps them well lubed for a long time. Using thinner lubricants, like WD-40 or CRC, just doesn't stay there long.

I dunno, I've heard that cables in newer bikes doesn't need lubing.. But I still lube them every 2000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts