Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first post in these forums. I have not had a bike for about 6 months now. I had a ninja 250 last year to learn on. I am now searching for another bike for this riding season. I have narrowed it down to two ninja 650r's. There are things I love about both of them.

The first one is a 07 with 4475 miles for $4,000. The things I like about this bike is the Color, fender eliminator, and the fact that it is at a dealer(if that matters).
Kawasaki 2007 Ninja® 650R

The second bike is an 06 with 120 miles for $4,000. The owner claims that there are some scratches on the left cowling. He has not replied to my email yet.

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Which one is the better deal?

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Hey everyone, this is my first post in these forums. I have not had a bike for about 6 months now. I had a ninja 250 last year to learn on. I am now searching for another bike for this riding season. I have narrowed it down to two ninja 650r's. There are things I love about both of them.

The first one is a 07 with 4475 miles for $4,000. The things I like about this bike is the Color, fender eliminator, and the fact that it is at a dealer(if that matters).
Kawasaki 2007 Ninja® 650R

The second bike is an 06 with 120 miles for $4,000. The owner claims that there are some scratches on the left cowling. He has not replied to my email yet.

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Which one is the better deal?
Persoanlly I would go with the 2007 thats at the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I just talked to the owner of the 06 and he said it was dropped at 5 mph. He said he never has time to ride it because of work and thats why theres only 120 miles on it. I have never bought anything from a dealer before. Are the bikes from a dealership better?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I just talked to the owner of the 06 and he said it was dropped at 5 mph. He said he never has time to ride it because of work and thats why theres only 120 miles on it. I have never bought anything from a dealer before. Are the bikes from a dealership better?
I have never bought a bike at a dealer before. However, I did work at a car dealership for years, and can tell you that if they operate the same as many car dealerships (at least in my area) do then I would be hesitant to buy anything used from them. The last thing I would trust is the word of a used car salesman... I don't see the difference with bikes to be honest. Use your best judgment, just remember... Dealers have MORE to compensate for other than the value of the bike! They have advertising costs, salesman commission, dealer costs, and many other things that affect a sale price. So generally speaking, buying anything at a dealer costs more than what you could find it for sale by a private seller for. Another consideration is if the dealer offers any kind of warranty.

Personally, I think the dealer bike looks a lot nicer/cleaner but I would much rather buy from a private seller. You'd be surprised at the kind of junk you can polish up, and make look worth twice it's value with some of the chemicals dealers use to detail their used inventory with. Just be smart, and use your best judgment when you choose which one to purchase!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
sk8jay is correct when it comes to dealerships with one exception: check to see if the bike is on consignment (that's when buying from a dealership could matter). My first bike was on consignment that I bought from a dealership. The advantage was two-fold for me in that situation: I wasn't getting ripped-off by the dealership and I was able to finance the bike through them. My wife scoffed at the 13% interest rate that I was given (my credit rating sucked back then) but since it was a simple interest loan, I just paid it off in two years instead of five with no penalty. I don't know if you're going to finance but if you don't, getting a consignment bike with cash is a good situation.

·
20,826 Posts
I see it this way the 2006 was dropped, and only 120 miles in 4 years means it sat a lot, and thats not really good for a bike either.

The 2007 is newer, low mileage, and if something goes wrong you have a better chance of a delaer helping you repair it, than a dude you do not know.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I see it this way the 2006 was dropped, and only 120 miles in 4 years means it sat a lot, and thats not really good for a bike either.

The 2007 is newer, low mileage, and if something goes wrong you have a better chance of a delaer helping you repair it, than a dude you do not know.
Again, this was my thinking as well. 120 miles basically means its never been ridden, but has been full of fluids...120 miles isn't even a tank of gas. You're far less likely to have trouble with a bike thats been ridden than one that's sat.

As for dealers vs private sellers...there's little difference. Private sellers may be even more likely to hide something given the fact they don't require repeat business...they just want the thing gone. Either way, you're buying something used, and should look it over before buying.

·
20,826 Posts
Again, this was my thinking as well. 120 miles basically means its never been ridden, but has been full of fluids...120 miles isn't even a tank of gas. You're far less likely to have trouble with a bike thats been ridden than one that's sat.

As for dealers vs private sellers...there's little difference. Private sellers may be even more likely to hide something given the fact they don't require repeat business...they just want the thing gone. Either way, you're buying something used, and should look it over before buying.
Thats a lot how I see things to.
Who nows how many times its seen an oil change in 4 years, despite the low miles it needs regular changes, and the rest of the bike like fuel, seals, etc all sit stagnant.

If he were to drop the price a lot on the 2006 then maybe, but its got damage and little use, to me its a 2500 dollar bike, not more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yeah this is a very good point. I have yet to check out the bikes personally because I live in california but am moving on monday. My dad checked out the one at the dealer for me and said it was in great condition. Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah this is a very good point. I have yet to check out the bikes personally because I live in california but am moving on monday. My dad checked out the one at the dealer for me and said it was in great condition. Thanks for your help :)
I just bought a bike, and based on my experience I would still definitely check out the 06. I found a couple 07's while I was looking and many had less than 800 miles on them. You would be surprised at how many of the owners actually kept up on the maintenance although the bike obviously sat there not being ridden most of the time they owned it. Also, fairings are CHEAP on ebay. If all that is scraped up/broken is a little plastic, and the maintenance was kept up on the bike, I would probably take the 06 due to the mileage difference. There are a lot of factors to consider, just use your best judgment, and make the decision you feel most comfortable with! Best of luck with whatever bike you end up getting!

By the way, I love that blue color on the 07, reminds me of the Rally Blue paint color on the Subaru's!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally saw both bikes. The Blue ninja 650 is in perfect condition and had an alarm on it. The 2006 black ninja was dropped at 5 mph and never had maintenance done. The owner had no idea about breaking in the engine or anything and suggested using a sharpie to fill in the scratches lol. So today I went ahead and bought the Blue ninja. I absolutely love this bike.

·
20,826 Posts
I finally saw both bikes. The Blue ninja 650 is in perfect condition and had an alarm on it. The 2006 black ninja was dropped at 5 mph and never had maintenance done. The owner had no idea about breaking in the engine or anything and suggested using a sharpie to fill in the scratches lol. So today I went ahead and bought the Blue ninja. I absolutely love this bike.

Thats awesome news............CONGRATS !!!8)

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
I agree, I think you made the right choice. I have a great dealer here in town and have always had good experiences with them.

Congrats! Enjoy riding!!

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
OOOoo I like that! Great color too...

OK, now I'm in envy and jealousy...great!

I'm looking at this one now...sorry to hijack, but I don't think ninjaskxawng is going to be back for a while after getting that new bike!

2004 Honda VFR 800 FI Interceptor One Owner With GIVI Hard Bags
Bike looks really nice...miles are a bit high (considering what you normally see on used bikes...not considering the life of the bike)...but the price seems right. When I was looking this past summer, you couldn't find one for less than 6k (not nearly in that good of shape)...usually they were higher than that. Those side cases are nice too...got a pair on my '14 ;) If that bike sings to you, go for it...not sure I ever found much bad about the VFR when I was looking...highly recommended by a few members here even.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
OOOoo I like that! Great color too...

OK, now I'm in envy and jealousy...great!

I'm looking at this one now...sorry to hijack, but I don't think ninjaskxawng is going to be back for a while after getting that new bike!

2004 Honda VFR 800 FI Interceptor One Owner With GIVI Hard Bags
That price seems morethan fair to me, the bags alone can set you back a pretty penny. My wife paid $9K Canadian for an 06 with 10000km last year.....and we figured we got a fair deal (well, fiar for up here anyways)

I personally wouldn't be concerned about the mileage at all. The V-4 is 110% bulletproof reliable motor, that has been in production for more than 25 years.
My wife loves her VFR800, it is a fantastic bike, both for touring and for handling (Freddie Spenser uses a VFR800 at his riding school by the way)
She has alsready stated that the only bike she would ever consider replacing her VFR with....is another VFR.

Nevermind the fact that rear wheel maintanence, chain lubing, or tire replacing is a snap with a single sided swingarm and a center stand.
Looks like it has an aftermarket exhaust to boot, even more reason to consier it.

·
20,826 Posts
That price seems morethan fair to me, the bags alone can set you back a pretty penny. My wife paid $9K Canadian for an 06 with 10000km last year.....and we figured we got a fair deal (well, fiar for up here anyways)

I personally wouldn't be concerned about the mileage at all. The V-4 is 110% bulletproof reliable motor, that has been in production for more than 25 years.
My wife loves her VFR800, it is a fantastic bike, both for touring and for handling (Freddie Spenser uses a VFR800 at his riding school by the way)
She has alsready stated that the only bike she would ever consider replacing her VFR with....is another VFR.

Nevermind the fact that rear wheel maintanence, chain lubing, or tire replacing is a snap with a single sided swingarm and a center stand.
Looks like it has an aftermarket exhaust to boot, even more reason to consier it.
What Carlo said, that motor needs regular oil changes, and then is good for a LOT of miles.
A ViFfeR with 100,000 kms is still a fine used bike to buy IMO if it was maintained.....and that bike has only about 40,000 kms on it, so its nearly new yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts