Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my first bike (Ninja 500R) for 6 months now & recently I noticed something loose where the clutch cable goes into the clutch lever. The clutch cable sheath screws on to the clutch lever threads, but in between the sheath & lever there's also a disc-shaped nut that I assume is supposed to help lock the clutch cable sheath in place. It's that disc-shaped nut that I noticed rolling around loosely on the clutch lever threads. I'm not sure if, or how much, the cable may have twisted on or off the lever threads.

Can anyone tell me the proper adjustment for the clutch cable & how I should lock it down with the disc nut? Sorry if this is a vague description of the problem. Like I said, it's my first bike & I'm just learning a lot of the terminology. Many thanks,

·
Registered
456 Posts
First, check the other end of the cable to make sure it's tight there. Now we'll proceed.

It sounds like you're describing the locknut. It's a thin nut. It does exactly what you've guessed -- it keeps the clutch cable from changing.

Screwing or unscrewing that cable will affect where the clutch grabs. If you screw it in too far, the clutch won't start to grab until the lever is almost all the way out. If you screw it out too far, the clutch will start to grab right away when you start to let the lever out. I like to have the clutch start to grab a little before the lever is halfway out.

After you've finished adjusting the clutch cable tighten up that locknut. But don't overdo it, since those threads are pretty thin. If it comes loose again, just tighten it a little more next time. You can put a tiny, tiny drop of locktite on it, but that makes it hard to change it later.
Curt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts