Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a very personal choice, but some others opinions may help me make up my mind. Also weather is not a problem where I live, so weather protection is not an issue.

FF offers me a better level of safety/protection, but compromises my riding experience/pleasure of the wind in my face, sounds, smells etc... feel too closed in.

DOT beanie gives me the "freedom" feeling and allows me to experience the elements more closely, but I don't feel that I have quite enough protection if I went down - with only half head coverage and not much lining in the helmet (its a headtrip helmet but I had to take the thin, removable felt lining out to make it fit).

Thanks for any input from fellow riders who have had to make this decision themselves.... or from riders who have gone down wearing eirther helmet and have a strong feeling about them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wear a full face helmet. It's all I have ever worn, so I don't have a feeling of it being confining, or being too hot in the summer.
I do apppreciate it for the two times I have ridden through a swarm of bugs - one time it was bees, the other time, it was just flying insects, I don't know what they were.
My first three full face helmets were the least expensive I could find, because I was not sure how to find a size that fit me.
They lasted about six months each, and the glue/lining disintegraded from them. Here in SoCal, we can pretty much ride daily, and all year round.
My fourth and fifth helmets are Shoei RF1000's.
I still have them both and they are holding up really well.
I have a tinted lens that I use during the day, and switch to the clear lens at night.
The big difference between an inexpensive ff helmet and the Shoei, in my opinion, is the cheap helmets feel like they want to pull your head off at frwy speeds. The Shoei does not do that.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
I love a beanie on nice warm days... that being said when the sun goes down and temp drops i love my FF.

If i could only choose one, it would be my FF

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wear a full face helmet. It's all I have ever worn, so I don't have a feeling of it being confining, or being too hot in the summer.
I do apppreciate it for the two times I have ridden through a swarm of bugs - one time it was bees, the other time, it was just flying insects, I don't know what they were.
My first three full face helmets were the least expensive I could find, because I was not sure how to find a size that fit me.
They lasted about six months each, and the glue/lining disintegraded from them. Here in SoCal, we can pretty much ride daily, and all year round.
My fourth and fifth helmets are Shoei RF1000's.
I still have them both and they are holding up really well.
I have a tinted lens that I use during the day, and switch to the clear lens at night.
The big difference between an inexpensive ff helmet and the Shoei, in my opinion, is the cheap helmets feel like they want to pull your head off at frwy speeds. The Shoei does not do that.
Thanks for the reply.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
I have both. I use the FF for winter time riding and cold days during the rest of the year, but the beanie is nice for hot summer days. However, on long road trips I always wear the FF no matter what the temps are.

·
2 Wheel Junkie
521 Posts
+1 on the Shoei RF1000. Great helmet. Comfort, lightness and fit are top notch. Way better than the KBCs and HJCs I have also owned. I have had a grasshopper in the face at 35mph wearing a beanie helmet and it felt like a rock was thrown in my face. I can't imagine how it woulg have felt at freeway speeds. Just something to think about. I always wear full-face helmets now.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I have 1 of each... beanie for the summer, 3/4 for the early spring, late fall and full face for those winter riding days - trust me, when it's 15 degrees or less outside, a FF is your face's (and ears!) best friend!

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
I just leave my shield up on my FF. Why not one of those helmets that the face lifts (police use them and I forget what they are called).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use the beanie year round here in Vegas. I tried a FF at various times in the past & couldn't stand it. Between feeling closed in & the shield fogging I'll never use one again. I'd suggest you try a on few different brands of the FF, 3/4 & beanie & go w/ what suits you the best.

·
Registered
65 Posts
They are called modular helmets though I wouldn't want to ride with the front up at any speed. I use a bombardier modular for winter use, it's a good winter lid but the drag at any speed would be bad with the face up.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use the beanie year round here in Vegas. I tried a FF at various times in the past & couldn't stand it. Between feeling closed in & the shield fogging I'll never use one again. I'd suggest you try a on few different brands of the FF, 3/4 & beanie & go w/ what suits you the best.
Is your beanie DOT? What Brand?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.