Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Have an old ('90) KLF 300C. Been reliable for years. Went to start it a couple months ago, and it wouldn't fire up. Brought it in the garage and got to work on it. nope, no water in the gas. Yep, got a good spark. Decided I would give the old girl a makeover. Sent the Jug in to be bored .20 over. got a Wiseco piston. Had the head rebuilt. Bought a new (aftermarket) carb for it...

Kawasaki Bayou KLF300 KLF 300 Carburetor Atv Carb -New :eBay Motors (item 280419134467 end time Dec-04-09 08:51:03 PST)

Doesnt even give me an idea that it is thinking about running. Still dead. Tried the old carb too. No difference. Timing is dead on. Good spark. Engine has great compression. New gas. Even tried Ether... nothing. What am I missing? Running one day, completey dead the next.

Here are my supects...
1. The choke cable has a torn rubber boot. Air leak? Vacuum issue? Same cable used on both carbs.
2. The 3 way breather hoses from the top engine cam cover... one on the cover, one on the carb, and one... where does this one go? Cannot tell from the picture, but it looks like it is supposed to connect to something in the vincinity of the cam chain tensioner. Have looked everywhere, but there is no nipple to be found. would love to know where this hose is supposed to go.

Thanks for any help,.
john

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, been a while since I have tried this. So, disconnect the chain, rotate the bottom end one rotation... reattach chain. That it? You are thinking it might be firing during the top of the exhaust stroke? Makes sense. Not sure how it got off that far, but it is a possibility. Will pull the valve covers to see if they are moving on the upstroke. That should tell me. Will post back with what I find. Any idea on the hoses?

thanks.
john

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Is your fuel petcock vacuum opperated? If so I think that other hose attaches to it for vacuum. This is based on me looking on babbit's site and doing some assumptions. But you know how assumptions go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey,

only have the fuel hose coming from the petcock. Dont have anything else to hook on.

Will give you the short version here and post a more thorough response on a longer thread involving carb replacement... anyone reading this can find the carb I used by the link I posted earlier.

Short version is this... the timing was dead on. Went back to the "drop in" carb I bought. It was anything but. I fought with it most of the day and finally got it tuned well enough to get me through the winter plowing. I think I have taken it from running rich to lean. Will mess with it more later.

Appreciate the help,
john

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.