Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 99 zx6r a couple of days ago, riding around today I must have picked up a nail or something. Is this something I can fix by myself with a tire plug (like a car)? Someone told me that these kind of tires need to be patched? Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm not to keen on plugs, but you can do it. My philosophy is what is my life worth. I just make it part of the budget because you only have two tires keeping you on the road.

On the other side if you are short on money - do what ya gotta do.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
ps - whatever you do don't put any of that inflate a flat crap inside. It will screw with your tire (deteriorate it from the inside) and leave a huge mess as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do what ya got to do but keep in mind, you only have two tires on the ground. The safest would be to replace the tire. At least follow adam's advice and stay away from that inflate a flat garbage. Have fun on the new bike!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TIRES

Great tires, are ones you can put your life on...I personally dislike plugs. I don't mind a patch IF I see the job done. I use to patch tires...there is a right way and a very wrong way...one is good for the life of the tire one is good for the rest of your life IF you ride on it. If you don't know someone that does a great job patching tires then replace it! Is your bike or your life really not worth the cost of the very best tires on the market? Can you put a price tag on what you would pay? I'm way up on the SOAPBOX on this because you will find guys getting 30,000 miles on a cruiser tire...BULL! I certainly wouldn't want him around me on a wet or street or on any road where there is anything but flat straights and cops all over the place so that he never exceded 70MPH. Yeah, you can buy long distance milage tires and have less traction or you can buy the softest and wear out a second set at 3,000 miles when you need to change your oil...(according to an article in Sport Rider, riding a ZX-10R). There is a happy medium where you must not exceed the limits of the tire or your own limits and expect the tire to perform...SAFETY FIRST...You only have one life, there is no "Do overs," RESET button, you get the drift...

·
Registered
605 Posts
ooh, 30,000 mile tires, I like to refer to those as sparking rims :)

12k is the avg on my current tires

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

See, some people will get 12,000 miles out of tires if they have good cruiser tires and don't abuse them...IF Stuart had racing, soft tires, on his cruiser, it would be stuck like glue to the corners, and he'd drag his pegs and not slide, but they would wear out much sooner. Cruiser tires are for cruisers that Cruise. If someone is using a motorcycle to Race with then you can expect a pair of tires like eon a ZX10R to last about 1,500 miles...not far. The again the tires are being run at extreme speeds and get really hot. running the same racing tires on a cruiser would be okay and they would last longer than they would on a ZX-10R, but you wouldn't get 12,000 miles out of them either.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Stuart said:
ooh, 30,000 mile tires, I like to refer to those as sparking rims
Red Skelton once invented the cement tire (or was it concrete -- I don't recall.) He was bragging about long life when he was confronted about the potentially rough ride. That led to his second invention: the rubber road.

If you don't know who Red Skelton is, ask someone over 40.
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Red Skelton

Red Skelton..."and God Bless." Many of nights in front of the B&W TV...Thanks, Curt.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Curt said:
Stuart said:
ooh, 30,000 mile tires, I like to refer to those as sparking rims
Red Skelton once invented the cement tire (or was it concrete -- I don't recall.) He was bragging about long life when he was confronted about the potentially rough ride. That led to his second invention: the rubber road.

If you don't know who Red Skelton is, ask someone over 40.
Curt
so am i a freak then for being 21 and knowing who red skelton is?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
RED Skelton

rednek426...I think it's awesome...I don't know a hand full of people your age 21, that have any clue of who he was. I don't think it makes you a Freak...but it sure is a freak "thing" for someone your age to know! I'm impressed! My stepson is 22, and has watched movies that his mom and I consider "Classics", aas well as anything else he can find to watch...I don't think he has a clue about Red. Although he knows the music, bands, members of MOST of the 50's on up to current and even most of the movie stars, and the parts that they have played in many different movies, or even series...I'll have to ask him...Not Unique, just not even a lot of people in your generation would know about him.... Ask someone about "Steamboat Willy", and most people will say "Who?"

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Red Skelton was awesome, but Victor Borge made me laugh even harder. They were genius. :lol:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Currently

Currently we have the Eddy Izzard...not sure of the spelling, but crazy funny! If yo have not seen/heard his stuff it IS worth the cost...to purchase...at first I thought it somewhat vulgar, but it's not...the more you watch...it just grows on you...and you see things in life funny...afterwards.

·
Registered
605 Posts
dress to kill & circle are both excellent, and for all you french canadians, in the special features of circle he does "dress to kill" in french :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts