Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought this bike and the carbs where off and I just bought some on ebay.
I didnt take them off so I dont know where any of the lines go.
Any help would be apreciated, I have everything numbered and labled to help out.

OK here goes

These lines came on the carb like shown

This line was left on the bike and it goes to the back of unit "4" I also dont know where "4" goes.
I think that "3" and "1" or "2" from the first picture might be the same line, since one was already on the bike and the other came with the carbs I dont know.

This one I have no clue about

There are 2 of these fittings, one in between every other carb, So I imagine a T fitting might connect them and maybe they are the fuel lines?

This is my petcock (is that right?)
One fitting 1/4 and other bigger, the bigger one "A" is my main fuel line right?

Stuff that came in a box with the bike

and thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Did you send my stuff out? It's contingent upon the information I'm about to give you! JK

Ok, let's see here.

1. Goes to your petcock (A) Vacuum tube for gas tank
2. Goes to your fuel emissions pipe
3. I can't tell, but it looks like 3 is coming from the engine and if so I think it connect to the emissions stuff.
4. Is missing an emissions bulb that connects to a fat tube and then connects to the duct going to the stock airbox.
5. Is connected to your main fuel line (X if it is about 12-13" long) from the petcock if that is in the middle of the carbs on the back side. (B)
6. I can't tell what it is? If it is what I think it is, you should have carb 1 with a tube, carb 2 gets the vacuum tube to the petcock, carb 3 gets a plug and carb 4 gets a tube. Carbs 1 and 4 are connected by a "Y" tube which connects to the emissions stuff.

Y - looks like the vapor separator

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1Adam12 said:
Did you send my stuff out? It's contingent upon the information I'm about to give you! JK

Ok, let's see here.

1. Goes to your petcock (A) Vacuum tube for gas tank
2. Goes to your fuel emissions pipe
3. I can't tell, but it looks like 3 is coming from the engine and if so I think it connect to the emissions stuff.
4. Is missing an emissions bulb that connects to a fat tube and then connects to the duct going to the stock airbox.
5. Is connected to your main fuel line (X if it is about 12-13" long) from the petcock if that is in the middle of the carbs on the back side. (B)
6. I can't tell what it is? If it is what I think it is, you should have carb 1 with a tube, carb 2 gets the vacuum tube to the petcock, carb 3 gets a plug and carb 4 gets a tube. Carbs 1 and 4 are connected by a "Y" tube which connects to the emissions stuff.

Y - looks like the vapor separator
Your carbs where shipped on tuesday priority mail as promised.
Also you say 1 goes to petcock "A" but I think you mean "B" because "B" is the vacuum diaphram.
Is this right?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hells yes a pic would be sweet

Oh yeah part "6" you are right on, with the Y tube and all.
But where is the "emissions stuff" located on the bike that I connect it to?

thanks again

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far no luck, I think 1 & 2 go the opposit way you described.
I switched them and got a really high idle but it could be because I have 6 & 7 blocked off since we dont know where they go.
I think I really need a manual.

thanks though

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Here is what you are missing from your box of stuff. It connects to the stock air box via the curved tube on the end (looks like a tail, that piece goes into the airbox)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Here it is removed, Now whos your daddy?

You can see the tube coming up from the center of the carbs now from the front that connects to the emmisions stuff, it is the smallest tube and the first one from the top. Does it make sense now?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so #1 goes into the part you have pictured right?
So I should just be able to plug it since its just emissions, and I also dont have a stock airbox, I have seperate filters now.

#3 goes into the side of #4 ( I double checked) looks like #3 is maybe a vent for the head on the motor?
So #3 probably just needs a vacuum source or something, but in the meantime I just want to get the bike running so I can see what else if anything is wrong, so its gonna get plugged to be safe for testing.

I found that by looking at a pic on ebay that the "Z" lines go to #6 & #7.
The 6 & 7 are in between carbs 1&2 and inbetween 3&4.
But now I dont know where the "Z" lines go, more emissions?

Also my petcock should be turned to the "ON" position correct? not "PRI" or "RES" right?

thanks for taking the time to take the pics and help me with this.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I got the bike running but at 4-5k rpm.

It wont come down, my petcock is leaking both outside the tank and leaking through the fuel line while the switch is in the on posistion so I guess I need a petcock rebuild.

But also I am not sure if it is because the petcock or what but the carb are leaking pretty bad as well, its comming out the holes on the backside of the carbs, I think the floats are getting flooded from too much fuel flow.

I also might need rebuild kits for the carbs but the guy I bought them from said they all work great, yes he said great, so I will try the petcock first, and man I need a new tank, and ideas where to pic one up?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Gaskets, gaskets and more. Sounds like we'll be trouble shooting the bike down for a little bit. Hang in there. I'll see if I can get us some help and I know there are a few mechanics on the board.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
megahyperion said:
Ok so #1 goes into the part you have pictured right?
So I should just be able to plug it since its just emissions, and I also dont have a stock airbox, I have seperate filters now.
yes - without the silencer though, it could be louder than you need. It was suggested to me by ZX Kawboy to run the silencer tube to the oil breather line on top of the oil pan when you take out the airbox.

#3 goes into the side of #4 ( I double checked) looks like #3 is maybe a vent for the head on the motor?
So #3 probably just needs a vacuum source or something, but in the meantime I just want to get the bike running so I can see what else if anything is wrong, so its gonna get plugged to be safe for testing.
ok

I found that by looking at a pic on ebay that the "Z" lines go to #6 & #7.
The 6 & 7 are in between carbs 1&2 and inbetween 3&4.
But now I dont know where the "Z" lines go, more emissions?
I checked my bike last night and I don't have anything attached to them??? Now you have me wondering about it now. Its on the front side right?

Also my petcock should be turned to the "ON" position correct? not "PRI" or "RES" right?
If you do not have the vacuum attached, it should be in prime - straight up and down. If you have the vacuum attached - thats fine.

thanks for taking the time to take the pics and help me with this.
Your welcome - glad I could help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cant find the pic of the carbs anymore on ebay.
But yes those lines go there, I am not sure what they are for but somehow they are connected directly to the fuel system.
If you turn the carbs upside down gas will pour out, thats why I thought they where the fuel inlets.

I also got my petcock working correctly and the carbs are still flooding out really bad, gas is just pouring out the front of them, I guess this means the float needles are bad huh?
Man that sux, another $80 into the bike that is really not starting to look like that good of a deal any more.
I already took the float bowls off and the floats move freely.

This month I am real tight on bills so I think it might be a while before I can get up an extra $80.

Let me know if you have any more ideas though.

I also got the idle down after letting it run for a minute but gas is just pouring out of the carbs and motor is running like crap because of it.

If you look at the 3rd pic I posted those are the 2 holes that gas if pouring out of.

thanks again

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
3rd picture is for your main fuel line...

do ya mean the 4th pic? If so, thats the mystery item at the moment. I have nothing there on my bike. Is the gas leaking from the bottom, the side of the carb body? From the tube?

You have a great bike, but it's gonna take some patience to put it all back together. Maybe the guy you bought it from can help you put it back together since he took it apart.

No worries - we'll figure it out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1Adam12 said:
3rd picture is for your main fuel line...

do ya mean the 4th pic? If so, thats the mystery item at the moment. I have nothing there on my bike. Is the gas leaking from the bottom, the side of the carb body? From the tube?

You have a great bike, but it's gonna take some patience to put it all back together. Maybe the guy you bought it from can help you put it back together since he took it apart.

No worries - we'll figure it out.
THe 4th pic is where the "Z" lines connect, there are 2 of those fittings, are yours just left open? or are they capped?
MAybe they are vent tubes or something and thats why it is flooding????
I think I tried with them plugged and unplugged with the same result.

OK here is where the fuel is pouring out, its 1 or both of the holes, its hard to tell because its just running out consistantly, not like a drip or anything.

The guy I bought it from bought it in the same condition, so he is no help at all. I dont think he knows anything about bikes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here you can see the fuel pouring out, this was with the petcock set to prime to keep the fuel flowing with the bike off so I could take the pics.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK good news and bad.
I brought the carbs inside and disasembled the bottom halfs of them.

I cleaned every single part and double checked every single part.

I got them back together and no more fuel leakage, but also no more fuel :(

I cant get anything to flow, I did however find out where those yellow lines go, inside the float bowls on the top half there is holes that lead to where the lines go, I guess they are just vents or something???

I did hook my lines back up to them when I reinstalled them and blew in each one which shot out some fuel out of the spots where it was leaking, My bike then fired up and revved to 4k but then stalled right out when the fuel was gone.

I was hoping it would build vacuum and keep sucking but no luck, I also tried plugging those yelllow lines and still no luck but it did run a little longer when I blew in them and then plugged them.

I also double checked the petcock and even turned it to prime and its flowing good so thats somewhat eliminated for now.

any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts