Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am a beginning rider and have ZERO experience. I recently purchased a 1994 Vulcan 500 with 5,000 miles - had it serviced,new battery, new electrical, new fuel filter, and everything was running just fine. I took the gas tank off (dumb me) in order to have it painted. Now, I can't for the life of me figure out where to reconnect the fuel lines where they are supposed to go. I'm pulling my hair out here. I see multiple place for hoses to go, but am uncertain as to where to connect everything. I currently don't have ANY hoses connected to anything. When I turn the ignition on, fuel begins to drip from the gas tank, so I'm assuming that's a good sign. I have a total of three tubes that are not connected to anything and I don't want to put them in the wrong places. I'm a complete beginniner, so sorry if this is probably a dumb beginners problem (I've been learning a lot on my own, though). Any help would be greatly appreciated. The weather is turning nice (finally) and I just want to get out there and safely enjoy the bike. Oh, by the way, the ownsers manual has no diagram for this stuff (!!) and I can't locate a step-by-step visual daigram or video on the net.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Hi all. I am a beginning rider and have ZERO experience. I recently purchased a 1994 Vulcan 500 with 5,000 miles - had it serviced,new battery, new electrical, new fuel filter, and everything was running just fine. I took the gas tank off (dumb me) in order to have it painted. Now, I can't for the life of me figure out where to reconnect the fuel lines where they are supposed to go. I'm pulling my hair out here. I see multiple place for hoses to go, but am uncertain as to where to connect everything. I currently don't have ANY hoses connected to anything. When I turn the ignition on, fuel begins to drip from the gas tank, so I'm assuming that's a good sign. I have a total of three tubes that are not connected to anything and I don't want to put them in the wrong places. I'm a complete beginniner, so sorry if this is probably a dumb beginners problem (I've been learning a lot on my own, though). Any help would be greatly appreciated. The weather is turning nice (finally) and I just want to get out there and safely enjoy the bike. Oh, by the way, the ownsers manual has no diagram for this stuff (!!) and I can't locate a step-by-step visual daigram or video on the net.

Not sure on your exact bike, but with all the hoses, most likely one looks a little larger in diameter, that should go to the carb.
the others will be vaccuum.

if the gas is turned on, and no gas flows from any hose, try using your mouth ( or better a vaccuum pump if you have one) and sucking on the smaller hoses and see if doing so makes it flow gas.

If you have pics to post that could help a lot.

Often hoses are also a different length, and that can help you decide where they reach to, and hence where they go.

In the future before taking stuff apart grab your digital camera and snap a few pics, then use them as a guide when its time to put it all back together.

Hope that helped some, and welcome to BTK forums.8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Help with gas tank/fuel line connections

Hi there. I have attached a photo I created in the hope that I can get somehelp simply knowing how to attach which fuel lines/tubing to what. This is a 1994 Vulcan 500. I recently had the gas tank removed and painted and can't recall which lines now go back to what. As you will see from photo, I have ne line already attached to the gass tank - just need to know where it connects to. Also, I have a yellow tube tht is connected somewhere down in the engine, but the other end is lose (my hand is holding it in the photo, and I'm not sure where it connects to. Any help will be great apprecited. I also have a third tube just lying around on the garage floor. Im assuming it is supposed to go somewhere but it currently isn't attached to anything.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
if you turn the gas to on, as it is in the pic, and suck on a hose attached to "?" does gas flow out of hose "C" ?

I bet it does.

then the fuel filter attaches to hose "C" as that hose looks the same colour and size as the one that goes from the filter to the carb.

The clear hose where is it atteched to on the other end ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I added some more pics to hopefully show you that the yello tub (open on one end) is attached to something deep down in the guts of the engine. I sucked on the tubing attached to the gas tank and got a moderate taste of fuel, so I am assuming that is indicative that such is normal and operational.

ps. I hope that made sense?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Pretty sure Northernman is right. C hooks to B, the hose you have in the floor connects the 2 ports marked with yellow arrows. The clear hose A is probably a vent line but would need to see what it's connected to in order to be sure and if you posted more pics, I can't see them.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think the clear hose may be a drain or vent line which attaches somewhere else (on my bike it is next to the fuel sensor on the other side of the tank) I would think that "mystery mouth" should have a vacuum hose connecting it to the petcock at "?" there is a vacuum hose missing. Then "C" attaches to "B" which is the fuel supply. My guess but I don't think I'm far off!

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I know this doesn't help now. But take before and after pics. Its when I do if I am going to have something apart for a long time. That way if I forget... then... well... you know. good luck! and welcome to the forum

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Wheres those pics? If thats a vacuum operated petcock, it looks like its in the prime position and no fuel is running. Is the tank empty? I agree with "Sasquatch" and "Razorback" black line to fuel filter and the two yellow arrows are vacuum ports and need a line connecting them two so the petcock operates. That narrows down the mystery a little. I cant make out what the face of the petcock reads but Im assuming that the position the pic shows is "PRI" (prime) forward is "RES" (reserve) and back is "ON" which is also off when the engine is off and no vacuum is provided to the petcock. Is there a third line? Yes Im practically blind and deaf,.....always was dumb

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually the clear hose connects to the pet clock, that little plastic piece on the hose is the vacuum switch valve and I'm not sure were that goes

·
Registered
43 Posts
And that other mysterious mouth is the vacuum line for the carburetor, that somehow hooks up to that little plastic piece but I'm not sure how

1 - 13 of 13 Posts