Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought this bike and it doesn't run. I've figured out the carbs(Keihin V334) are not getting fuel to the engine. I chem-dipped the carbs and have them cleaned up, but I can't figure out how they work. Can anyone give me some advice or point me in the right direction.

thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Have you taken the carb's bowls off and make sure the jets are clean? that would be a good way to go, take the main jets out and make sure you can see through them clearly. although they are small you should be able to see light through it.

if they are clean then make sure you are getting a spark, check the plugs and the wires.

after that I'm not really sure, unless you want to spray some starter fluid into the intake and start her up and see if she runs, that'd prove its not getting fuel.

also
-fuel lines
-any in-line fuel filters
-fresh gas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done everything you suggested. I completely took the carbs apart and the jets are clean. What I'm trying to figure out is how the fuel gets sucked into the venturi. Does it get sucked up through the needle valve from the float bowl? I've had it running using starting fluid and the bowls were completely full of clean fuel. I guess I was trying to see if anyone has had this problem or knows about these things.

Jeff

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ZX - thanks for the links, thats exactly what I was looking for. I tried searching for it but came up with nothing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 85 GPZ900R will idle on choke, idle fine when warm, but giving any throttle at all kills it.

I'm doing a complete tear-down and a thorough cleaning of *everything* this weekend. I think this will sove it. Also going to re-route the fuel-vacuum line, as well as the fuel line from the gas tank. If that doesn't solve it, I'm gonna shell out for a set of Mikuni RS's.

Have a good one, all

ZX

·
Registered
14 Posts
blipping difficulties

you could have a clogged air filter. that's a peculiar symptom. what you're talking about is air related. I know for sure. It's either air filter or vaccuum leak. spray WD-40 on the intake boots and boots coming from airbox to back of carbs. Something is not sealing or not flowing right with the air. when you're done- synch the carbs. Do that last though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the WD-40 will bubble while the engine is on if there's an air leak. you also will hear the bike rev as it gets nice and sealed again.(By the WD-40)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello
Just had a hell of a time getting mine to run too. After stripping carbs down 3 times discovered that the fuel lines were breaking up from the inside and blocking jets. New fuel lines, in line filter-Hey Presto-going like a rocket.
Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts