Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i posted a bit ago about my 2007 900 classic with no start issues...i fully charged a brand new battery ..turn key fuelinjection hums then stops try to start and all i get is clicking coming from starter relay..fuse on relay is fine i dont understand i would think if starter is junk the fuse would blow..any help here would be great before i take it to the delaership and get raped..thanks

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Make sure that the connections between the starting solenoid and the starter are clean and tight. If ok, then monitor the cable that goes to the starter at the solenoid with a meter. Push the starter switch and when it clicks, you should get 12v on that post. If not, looks like the solenoid is bad.
When you push the start switch, does it click once or does it chatter?

Post back with your results.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Make sure that the connections between the starting solenoid and the starter are clean and tight. If ok, then monitor the cable that goes to the starter at the solenoid with a meter. Push the starter switch and when it clicks, you should get 12v on that post. If not, looks like the solenoid is bad.

Excellent advice.......................especially the post back part.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Unknown as to how the 900 is wired but some of the older bikes, and most of the cars that have external solenoids must have a solid ground from the solenoid to frame or - battery potential or it will chatter and do nothing useful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

all connections are clean havent had a chance to meter it however all it does is click....when put my hand by the"relay" and press start u can feel the click in it...someone said that the "relay" maybe the actual solenoid on that bike anyone know?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You need to see if voltage is coming OUT of the solenoid. IF it doesn't come out the solenoid is bad. But you have to meter it, or unbolt it form the starter, hold it up next to the frame and hit the switch.

The sparks should be fantastic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts