Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Nolan open face helmet that kills my forehead after about 30 minutes of riding. This is really bad, because it takes an hour to get to work. What is the best way to reshape the styrofoam so that it fits my forehead better? I bought it last year to wear in the hot months, and it has not "form-fit" to my noggin yet.

I have always had problems getting helmets to fit. Usually have to get at least 2XL. The Arai Profile is looking good, but I haven't found a place with one in stock, and at the moment I don't have the $545 to purchase one.

Thanks, y'all!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
don't have an answer for you. I have an HJC that rides hard on my forehead as well and after about 30 minutes its all I can take. I obviously don't wear it...

good luck with a solution

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Dunno if I would feel right removing any EPS with a dremel, or compressing it with any kind of pressure, as you'd be reducing the effective protection, and negating the very reason it's there in the first place.

Better to do as you already thinking, and find one that fits your noggin's particular shape without altering it's protective properties.

Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have this same issue. Grab the back of the helmet and pull up like you are trying to roll it off the front of your face. If it's a properly fitted helmet it won't move much but its just enough for me to relieve the pressure and you'll be good for another 30 minutes or so. If its a new helmet the pads should also break in over time giving you a little more room.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which picture best describes your cranial profile?
...snip...
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
ROFLMAO!!! Oh, that's GOOD!!

Actually, it's more like this - trigonocephaly

Not that I have been medically diagnosed with that, but that's what its most like.

·
Earnest T. Bass wannabee
331 Posts
I've had the same problem with every type of helmet I tried. I end up just compressing the foam, or removing about 1/8" right at the pressure point. It makes the helmet fit better, but I have never tested it in a crash (and hope I don"t).

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Bought new helmet last year. It hurt like the ****ens in the front also. I scraped the foam some where it hurt and found no relief. Dealer where I bought my helmet suggessted to scrape foam in the rear at the pressure point there. I did and found more relief quicker with less foam craving. It still needs more and I really have not found a good way to scrape the Styrofoam yet

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I use a hammer and gently compress the foam in the front of the helmet. I've also had some luck using my thumbs to compress it. I usually do it just enough to releive the pressure points and "mold" it to my head.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
If the Arai Profile works for you, so might this:

M1 Modus

It's a very nice lid for the money. One of the best-fitting hats I've owned, and they make a bunch of cool shields too.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
If the Arai Profile works for you, so might this:

M1 Modus

It's a very nice lid for the money. One of the best-fitting hats I've owned, and they make a bunch of cool shields too.
I was just going to suggest an Arai.

My brother in law has the same issue with many helmets causing forehead pain, but his Arai is very comfortable for him.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Well, you're first problem is wearing an open faced helmet. Fix that then come talk to us.
As an interested watcher on this post, I am not wearing an open face helmet, but still would like to see what others have done. Especially interested in how one would scrape the styrofoam to form a better fit. The method I used was very slow and tedious but provided decent results. After talking to people at Fulmer some time ago I concluded that a small amount of foam removal to "fit" the hat was acceptable to them, just never ever use heat or compress it in any way. Their words, not mine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, you're first problem is wearing an open faced helmet. Fix that then come talk to us.
Wow, feel the love.....;):tongue:

I use my HJC full face for the cool-to-cold weather rides. It has a remarkable lack of air flow that makes it inhospitable for warm-to-hot weather riding. Thought I would try an open face to see how they work, never had one before.

The HJC fits me well, and now that I found a source of replacement faceshields, I won't replace it anytime soon. When I do, I will check out the Fulmers and the Arai Profile again.

As an interested watcher on this post, I am not wearing an open face helmet, but still would like to see what others have done. Especially interested in how one would scrape the styrofoam to form a better fit. The method I used was very slow and tedious but provided decent results. After talking to people at Fulmer some time ago I concluded that a small amount of foam removal to "fit" the hat was acceptable to them, just never ever use heat or compress it in any way. Their words, not mine.
Well, until I read that, I was really considering heating up a large spoon and seeing what it would do. Guess I won't, now. Back to plan A - have Sweetie paint my forehead with some of her warpaint, put on helmet minus liner, and dremel out some of the contact area.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The suggestion I've heard for pressure points is to take a spoon and press on that area of the helmet. However by doing that you're damaging the ability of that portion of the helmet to take up the stresses of a wreck.

And yes if you value your face it's FF or nothing... :D

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
I recommend going to your local cycle gear or similar and try on helmets until you find the ones that fit right but don't have pressure points on your noggin. Wear 'em for 5-10 minutes and make sure you don't have that red spot on your forehead when you take it off. Then buy that one, no matter how much it costs

·
KawiLove
2,933 Posts
I have a Shoei... size medium... its the lightest helmet I've ever worn, but it feels loose on the sides. It fits the top of my head, but for some strange reason, it feels loose and wiggly whenever I turn my head. I think maybe I need a smaller size...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts