Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mule I bought a few years ago, and it's given me pretty good service, but I'm starting to get some noise in the top end, sounds like maybe cam chain. I'd like to identify it so I can get some parts and maybe a manual for it. I did a search in several way, but was unsuccessful finding any useful info. It also needs brakes, and some kind of bushing in the centrifugal clutch system. I believe it's from somewhere in the mid 80s, it's a two cylinder, I believe it's a 450CC but not sure about that. I've been told I can find a model number somewhere, but thus far, I've not been able to find it. TIA, Rick 8)

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The twins were the Mule 1000. They are a two cylinder, dual overhead camshaft unit of 450cc. Known as the Mule 450 B-1 1000.

They are the best of the bunch as far as outright reliability and performance for the dollar goes. They use a real motorcycle engine in lieu of the lawnmower/industrial engine used by the newer units, and will flat dust off the newer units when properly tuned. Just never lug them, they like to be run just like an ATV for best performance and life.

They are sensitive to oil, require valves to be adjusted annually, the cam chain to be tensioned regularly, and then replaced about every five or so years of heavy use. Because they are overhead cam, they require 10-40 very high quality oil to allow the oil to flow easily when first started so they do not gall the cam journals from lack of lubrication. They are also a unit you never rev up when cold, just let them idle a few seconds to have good oil supply then bring up the power. They require more attention to service and maintenance than the newer Mules to keep them running trouble free.

I do have a recommendation regarding lubing the clutch once the worn parts are replaced. Use Comet Clutch Lube, made for snowmobiles, on all the metal to metal rubbing surfaces and the clutch will likely never wear out again.

If you go to one of the online Kaw parts houses that offer microfiche parts views, you will very easily identify the part(s) and part number(s) you require. The best manual for the dollar is an aftermarket full blown repair and service manual, and Beartooth Kaw, one if this site's sponsors, should be able to get you one of those pretty inexpensively.

·
Registered
180 Posts
After rebuilding one with 5280 miles showing that was really worn out, the above posted has good information. It isn't cheap to rebuild, but in our case it has been a great value. I'm down to about a $ a mile in 18 months, with no problems. Still have to deal with the brakes one of these days. For more information use the forum search feature and MULE 1000. I believe the ID number is on a welded on plate on the front side of the front cross member, mine started life on a dairy and it is etched away for the most part. FWIW worth I have found Kawasaki 454 LTD oil filter fits and works and WIX has a larger version that I'm using now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch. Basically, I got my money's worth out of this thing within a few weeksafter I bought it, I only paid $50 for it, not running. Cleaned the carbs, charged the battery, and used it for a pretty good while doing hurricane cleanup, and wound up eventually replacing most of the fuel system, tank included. It will run 27 mph with me in it by myself, and 27 mph pushing a Chevy Caprice down the road, :biggrin: . I use it mostly for moving boat trailers and dead cars around. I've changed the oil once, and it's about due again. Thanks to this forum, I just figured out what I'm gonna do with the extra Hurculiner I have left over from doing my pickup truck bed too. :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to cross over the part number from the filter that was on it originally. This one has 7220 miles on it on it right now. Anybody on these forums have any used parts? I really could use a parking brake lever, this one is MIA....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts