Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just took delivery of a (declared) 1993 KLE 500 yesterday. I'm perfectly happy with the bike (needs a few things doing to it, but nothing major), but something on the registration certificate sparked my interest.

The bike wasn't registered here in the UK until 2002, but was put on a K plate meaning the DVLA decided there was evidence that it is a 1993 model.

The most likely scenario is the bike is an (unofficial) import, and after some investigation I believe it's of German origin as the plate attached above the embossed VIN identifying the manufacturer, model, engine capacity and max load weight is in German... although it also carries an ECE approval mark from Luxembourg (German being an official language there) for the electronics, so I can't be 100%. It also carries numbers from the Netherlands for the lights and probably some more if I looked hard enough though.

I've also noticed that the cowl, colour-shceme, sticker-set and side panels don't seem to tally up with what I've seen from other KLEs. The side panels are marked as being made in Feb 1992, I don't think the cowl design was introduced until 1994, the sticker set seems to be a later addition, and I've not seen another one with the same seat [black]/gaiters [black]/disk-covers [light green]/fairings [purple] colour scheme. It's all left me a bit confused as to the actual model year as I've no idea which (if any) are the original parts.

Can the VIN number (LE500A017004) or engine number (EX500AE253097) shed any light on this if quoted to the right people? Are there any other country/age identifiers I could look for just to confirm the details on the registration certificate are correct?

Thanks in advance for any and all info you might be able to give me :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind; Kawasaki Europe have confirmed it's a 1992 model frame number originally sold in Germany.

This can be closed/locked/deleted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts