The HD is a 2004 Ultra w/ 9500 miles
I met the owner, he was picking up his new 2008 HD
We talked outside and he told me everything he did to the bike
He has taken care of it
It has true V&H duals w/ mapping and air kit
Everything is chromed out around the engine
Fork legs are chromed
Added lights here and there and other small stuff

The bike is sharp for sure. It has 5000 miles less than my Nomad and all the added stuff I want on my bike, batwing, radio, pipes, trunk.

I am not a "gotta have a HD" guy, I just want a bike with these options.

They want $15,000 for it
I owe $8500 on my Nomad

So what is reasonable?
What do you think?

Thanks

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
You're gonna end up owing an awful lot of money if the bank will let you go that far upside down on the deal. I'd like an Ultra too someday but if I owed that much money on a bike, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. If you can sell the Nomad and pay it off then the HD becomes more affordable. Are you planning on touring?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Not me. Service and related costs for any HD is far and above what you would normally pay for the same related metric. Unless you want to spend more for basically the same performance as something else non HD then it's definitely up to you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If you tried to add all that to a Nomad it would probably cost you more.

Service and related costs for any HD is far and above what you would normally pay for the same related metric.
That's absolutely untrue. I've owned Harleys, Kawasaki, and Honda and the Harley was the least expensive of the three when it came to service and related costs.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
You're gonna end up owing an awful lot of money if the bank will let you go that far upside down on the deal. I'd like an Ultra too someday but if I owed that much money on a bike, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. If you can sell the Nomad and pay it off then the HD becomes more affordable. Are you planning on touring?
getting in 23k for a 15k ride?

i have to agree

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have an "06" Nomad with 18K on it, pretty much stock. My brother has an "03" Road King Classic and I have rented several Harley bikes on trips. I like them, but it cannot replace the Nomad. If you want to look good to others then follow your heart, but if you want to ride and travel, then it would be a Nomad. What are your priorities? I plan to buy a Sportster for around town and quick trips, but the Nomad stays.

Make sure you choose your playing field and not others.

To each his/her own, but do watch the financial end of the deal.

·
With great power comes...
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the input. Every Sunday we head out and do 300 mile trips. I enjoy trips to North Carolina and have been up to PA, and the entire Skyline/Blue Ridge. I love my Nomad, but I like what is on the Ultra. My plan has been to wait and see what 2009 brings, a full dress Kawi?

Basically I would have them pay off the Nomad and I would be paying off the $15K, so I would be adding on $7K to my loan, if that makes sense

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If you tried to add all that to a Nomad it would probably cost you more.

That's absolutely untrue. I've owned Harleys, Kawasaki, and Honda and the Harley was the least expensive of the three when it came to service and related costs.
Where do you live? I want some of my HD buddies to get service in your town. Here, HD charges $360 for a service compared to $100 for a Kawasaki.

·
With great power comes...
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just curious, is this a cry for us to try and talk you out of this idea?
Either way just looking for input from both sides.

When I went back and forth on getting my Nomad everyone here answered all my questions and I felt I was not mislead.
I trust you guys.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
What's the book value on the HD? I wouldn't pay extra for mods you wouldn't have done yourself.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Wow, I better have all of my Harley friends complain then, since an average service for most of the models they own run from 400-700 depending on what they get done. I've never paid more then 200.00 for any service on any of my bikes.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Personally, I don't think it's 7k worth of upgrade from your Nomad. Not to mention that you'll be paying more not only for service, but also probably insurance and of course the bike payment itself. If you're not a "gotta have a HD" type guy I think I'd pass. JMHO

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
I have seen this many many times. We can help

Step 1: We admitted we are motorcycleholics and our finances have become unmanageable.

Step 2 : Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves (Vulcan) could restore us to sanity. (Like we're insane!)

Step 3: Made a decision to turn our will and our finances over to the care of Vulcan as we understood Him.

LOL you can finish the the rest of the steps.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
[text omitted] I am not a "gotta have a HD" guy, I just want a bike with these options. They want $15,000 for it. owe $8500 on my Nomad. So what is reasonable? What do you think?
Thanks
Steve:

I don't know about Orlando, but here in NYC you can't park a Harley out of eye-sight, or she'll be gone. Sounds like the owner took good care of her and the main issue is ultimate cost. The Ultra Glide Classic is a beautiful bike. Does the 2004 have cruise control? I'd buy it, if the interest rate on the loan isn't above 7% or so. After that, the cost of $15,000 is going to add up to a lot of dinero. She's also going to have a much higher resale value when you decide to sell. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Jan

·
Registered
455 Posts
For the $6500 difference, you could add a fairing with stereo and a trunk and pipes with a fuel controller and a whole lotta chrome to your bike.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Why not make your nomad the way that others have? you can add a trunk and fairing with radio etc, and it would be a more reliable, more original looking bike. Im not sure what engine that hd has but my guess is yours is bigger and got more torque? I have seen some Nad owners seriously dress their scooters up very nicely.

chris

1 - 20 of 89 Posts