Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friend just purchased a 2001 1500 FI from Texas, had it shipped to California and now is having trouble getting it licensed. Has any one had this problem and is there an easy fix? He's up against a time frame now. Help.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The California bikes have special emissions control stuff on them to make them legal in that state. At the least it's a special closed-air tank (maybe just the cap) and some other fuel-delivery and exhaust mods, I think. It's been 12 years since I lived in Cali though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Preciate your reply. I used to live in Cal and they have some funny (expensive) laws down there. My buddy might have a Kawasaki for sale. Dang.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
how does it work in cali if I buy a car in idaho while living there, move to california and need to register that car? they'll do that won't they?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don't know

I know that in my owners manual (2001 classic 1500 FI) it lists things for 'California' and 'other fortynine states'
I'm glad I left Calif.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I live in Cali and was almost in the same shoes your friend is in. When I was looking for my mean streak, the prices were so much lower in other states, that I almost bought one from back east. However, the dealer I was talking to said that he would not ship the bike to Cali. That he would ship it to a neighboring state, but not into Cali. Too many problems. You have to take the bike to a dealer and have them add all the emisions cr*p, and have them certify that is compliant. (If I remember corectly) Way too much trouble and may end up costing more than what you saved. I got a better deal negotiating with the local dealers. Sorry I could not offer more details, I did not actually go through it myself. Good Luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Well, we decided he's going to sell the bike to me. I live in Utah. I'll own it for six months and sell it back. They will register it if it has more than 7500 miles. Go figure. It has 4800 now. It's going to cost him about $600 extra.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Spok,

To answer your question, you can drive a car to California on at least two conditions. Either A, it passes a biennial smog inspection in those places (mostly the cities) that require it. Or B, it is an exempt vehicle (such as a classic car). There may be other hoops to jump through when moving there. The good news is that most cars off the assembly line have California emissions equipment standard. Maybe it's because it seems like half the cars in the country are in that state.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
thanks for clearing that up Pick...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Oops, I meant you can drive (register) a car IN Cali with those two criteria. You can drive a car TO Cali whenever you want.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
All I know is that the 2001 Kaw 1500 came in Cal models and non-Cal models. Both have catalytic converters originally equipped. Also, the Cal model has an evaporative emission control system to prevent venting of the gas tank directly to atmosphere. Like cars, the gas tank vents to a charcoal canister which is purged when the engine is operated.

California, you just have to love it, not living there, that is. At least they have AHnold.

T-man

1 - 11 of 11 Posts