Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying the WD-40 but I can't for the life of me turn it or pull the key out. I definitely don't want to leave my bike around with the key in it so....

Any suggestions?

Sincerely,
One frazzled biker

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
It may be that there is a broken tooth on either the key or the switch. That or gunk stuck deep inside the switch. It's hard for solvent or lube to get past the key. A firm outward tug with vise grips and a not too hard pull should free it if it's not completely jammed.

Just be sure to pull straight out and not side to side for obvious reasons. And if it does come out use a small plastic tube to shot a good key related lubricant (usually dry) graphite to help in the future. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the key is stuck in the ignition not the steering lock, but I can't even turn the key enough to say turn the bike on and ride it down to the dealership. I noticed before it got really stuck the key turned a bit far clockwise, but now it doesn't seem to want to turn back counter-clockwise. I'm so close to taking a pair of pliers and yanking it out, I'm not sure what I can do.

·
Registered
498 Posts
On some bikes the steering lock and the ignition are the same thing. It sure sounds like your ignition has had something break loose inside with it going too far clockwise. It may be time to get the manual out and figure out how to remove it . What kind of bike is it anyway?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bike is a Vulcan 800a, I had just finished doing some maintenance on it, changing out the air filter, oil filter, and oil. I live in Seattle so the weather sucks for riding right now. But now I'm stuck outside trying to jiggle, pull, push, turn my key so that it comes back out. If anyone else out there with some experience with Vulcan 800's has a clue, let me in on it :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I busted out the pliers and short of either bending the key, or breaking it off in there, I can't think of anything else to do. If only I could at least turn the ignition on so that I could ride it down to the mechanic later this week. Well if anyone out there is aware of any miracles for this kind of situation please let me know, otherwise I'm going to have to explore some other, much more expensive options :(

Thanks,
Jon

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Try soaking it with PB Blaster. It's the best penetrating lube I've found. Never heard of a switch binding that badly though. You might want to just pull it and buy a new one.

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
Take the switch OFF the bike by removing the plate it mounts to, then unplug it from the wiring harness (you can usually do this by taking the console off the tank and just reaching inside! Worse case the tanlk gets unbolted and tipped up a little to get at the connectore. Yank the puppy out and walk to the dealer with it!!
A couple of tie wraps is the hardest thing to get off beside the mounting bolts!

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
Well, the key is stuck in the ignition not the steering lock, ...
I think what Bad Company was saying is that it might be possible that the steering lock is binding in such a way as to affect the ignition from turning. Same way in my car - if the steering wheel is turned to tightly when the ignition is locked, then it won't budge until I move the steering wheel. Not really sure if this helps, but that's just the way I interpreted what he said.

If you have another key for the steering lock, you might want to ensure that it's working freely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, I just randomly googled "key stuck in ignition motorcycle" and the first thing that pops up is this thread about my same darn bike. Looks like the Vulcan 800 has this problem a lot.... so same deal, my key is stuck in the ignition after it went a little too far clockwise. Did you manage to fix your problem yourself or is it a mech fix now???

·
Crazy as a sh!thouse rat.
2,867 Posts
I dunno what he eventually did. But I do know that I'd consult a locksmith before I'd take it back to the dealership.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow, I just randomly googled "key stuck in ignition motorcycle" and the first thing that pops up is this thread about my same darn bike. Looks like the Vulcan 800 has this problem a lot.... so same deal, my key is stuck in the ignition after it went a little too far clockwise. Did you manage to fix your problem yourself or is it a mech fix now???
You do realize that you responded to a thread that is over 3 years old - right? They might NOT respond.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts