Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kimberly Dawn 1966 - 2009
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been taken my 1995 VN800A a part to do maintenace and a few mods. Now that I am putting it back to gether, something is horribly wrong with the electrical.

I thought I was carfull with all wires and splices I did, but when I conneced the positive cable back to the batter, the bike automatically started up.

I DID NOT HIT the started button.

I had to turn it off with the KILL switch. If I put the KILL switch in "run" the bike automatically starts up.

I have no idea were to start looking or what could be wrong. PLEASE HELP.

Some of the work I did was the following:

1. Cleaned the Starter Relay. Hooked it back up B to positive battery and M to the Starter.

2. Completely disassembled the switch controls and buffed/polished them.

3. fixed a few pinched wires in the wiring harness. I tripled checked to make sure I was putting the same color wires together and only did 1 at a time.

If anyone knows what I FUBAR'd up, please help.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Playing with switch controls can lead to trouble since they don't like being taken apart, especially if there's springs involved. The relay should be good or the starter wouldn't have shut off. You can check it with a VOM to be sure. B is typically the battery designation for relays. I'd take a look at the starter button.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Does it do it with key on or off or both? Does the bike actually fire up and run, key on/off or both? Does the starter continue to run after bike running?

·
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only does it if the key is in the RUN position. I never let it get to the point of fully running.

I do not think the start keeps going. No grinding like you would hear on a car.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Well, lets give this a swing. Remove starter relay to starter cable. Turn on key, and measure voltage at small wires on starter relay. If you have 0 volts at both wires, could be yellow/red and black/yellow, your starter relay is shorted internally. If you have 12volts at yellow/red, then post back.

·
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I found the problem.

After taking the switch housing apart again and checking all continuity with my meter, I then went and pulled the Starter Relay again to do the check, sfair suggested.

What I found was a very small piece of wire/metal that was stuck in the dielectric grease and touching both terminals.

I cleaned it all real good with electonic component spray, hooked up the starter relay and plugged the switch housing back into the wire harness.

Now the bike acts like it should.

If it gets flaky again during assembly, I will definately post again.

Thanks for the help and keep your fingers crossed. :tongue:

·
Registered
32 Posts
short

I have been taken my 1995 VN800A a part to do maintenace and a few mods. Now that I am putting it back to gether, something is horribly wrong with the electrical.

I thought I was carfull with all wires and splices I did, but when I conneced the positive cable back to the batter, the bike automatically started up.

I DID NOT HIT the started button.

I had to turn it off with the KILL switch. If I put the KILL switch in "run" the bike automatically starts up.

I have no idea were to start looking or what could be wrong. PLEASE HELP.

Some of the work I did was the following:

1. Cleaned the Starter Relay. Hooked it back up B to positive battery and M to the Starter.

2. Completely disassembled the switch controls and buffed/polished them.

3. fixed a few pinched wires in the wiring harness. I tripled checked to make sure I was putting the same color wires together and only did 1 at a time.

If anyone knows what I FUBAR'd up, please help.
Look back to the "pinched wires", they could have gotten re-pinched on assembly.
If it was ok before you worked on it you'll likely find it was something you did.

·
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I found was a very small piece of wire/metal that was stuck in the dielectric grease and touching both terminals.

I cleaned it all real good with electonic component spray, hooked up the starter relay and plugged the switch housing back into the wire harness.

Now the bike acts like it should.

Thanks, but I had found the problem...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts