Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually both grips... off my shiney V2K. Just ordered handlebar warmers and was hoping to re-use my stock grips. Am I gonna have to cut these buggers off? Can't afford to spend much on bling as I've promised the wife we'd replace her 750 shadow with a 900.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Actually both grips... off my shiney V2K. Just ordered handlebar warmers and was hoping to re-use my stock grips. Am I gonna have to cut these buggers off? Can't afford to spend much on bling as I've promised the wife we'd replace her 750 shadow with a 900.
Have you tried using a hairdryer to warm up the glue? If heat doesn't work I guess I'm not the one to advise? But it works in most cases ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
i like the pro one grips,nicely made!

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
therogue,
Couple of ideas/thoughts (FWIW):
1. Is it too late to cancel the handlebar warmers in exchange for heated gloves or heated clothing? Heated clothing is more efficient since the heat doesn't have to go thru the handlebar, then the grip, then your glove to get to your skin to warm you up;
2. If you can at least get the grips "started" by heating them up, try squirting a little PB Blaster or some kind of "break free" type in there to assist in sliding those puppies off. Wipe them dry ASAP so the chemicals don't do any damage (maybe even blow them dry with the hair dryer that started the removal process!); and
3. If all else fails, get The Supreme Allied Commander's approval for new grips with the promise of same for her. Use your best sales pitch and convince her how she's going to want new grips, too. "See, honey... feel these. You can't ride comfortably with me with those grips..."

Good luck with that.

DS

·
Registered
297 Posts
Try using a screw driver at the front of the grip. Spray some spray wax and keep working the screw driver down inside the grip. Once you get the wax inside, twist the grip and use the screw driver to help. They will come off without much of a fight. I did the same thing and re-used my old grips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts