Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about buying the new 2008 250r when it comes out but do you think ill be to big for it? im 5'11 and some people tell me itll look like a toy when i get on it... what do you guys think? if not what do you recommend me getting?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
ive seen much bigger on a 250 it is all in how you feel on it. i would go sit on one when one is available at the local dealer and see how you feel. if you feel too small then maybe a ninja 500 would work. or maybe a zzr6 or zx6r again it depends on what your looking for in a bike. are you looking for power? comfort? cheap? gas saving?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im thinking of either the o7 zzr600 or the 250r, i hear that the 250r is 10x better as a first bike than the zzr600

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i want something thats cheap but comfortable at the same time.. Gas saving would be a plus too though =D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yeah you could learn on the ZZR, but the best way to go for you would be to buy a used 600cc, don't spend over a 1000 on it. Your going to drop your first bike within the first week you own it and it'll hurt a lot less if the bike is 15 years old. Plus if you decide riding isn't for you than you can turn around and sell it for what you paid for it, just take someone along who knows about bikes to check it out before you lay down any cash.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your going to drop your first bike within the first week you own it and it'll hurt a lot less if the bike is 15 years old.
That isn't necessarily true. If you ride cautiously, within your limits, play it smart you will be fine.

Ironically, when I got mine, people told me to make out a will cause I was going to die. It scared the hell outta me. I try to ride safely, it can be hard though cause it is easy to twist the wrist.

It helped me tons buying a new bike 'cause I had to "break it in" - via the dealers / owners manual recommendations, so I stayed below the RPM limits(as much as I could lol).

But yeah, even now, if I so much as put a scratch on my baby, I would cry.

·
Registered
533 Posts
look around for a used one... lots of guys/gals sell them this time of year cause they realize that the bike is a couple yrs old....with a couple thousand miles

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
08 250s are the redesigned 90-07s the power is just about the same...

the 250 is the better bike to start with I would not recommend a zzr 600 to do so...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
08 250s are the redesigned 90-07s the power is just about the same...
They're putting out the same HP as a GS500 now, quite a bit more power, around 40 I believe.

the 250 is the better bike to start with I would not recommend a zzr 600 to do so...
I agree with you here. The only people who should be jumping on a modern 600 as a starterbike are those who weight over 250 pounds. :x

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
They're putting out the same HP as a GS500 now, quite a bit more power, around 40 I believe.

I agree with you here. The only people who should be jumping on a modern 600 as a starterbike are those who weight over 250 pounds. :x

I would love to see that data... 40hp seems like a ton for a parallel twin with 250ccs...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That isn't necessarily true. If you ride cautiously, within your limits, play it smart you will be fine.

Ironically, when I got mine, people told me to make out a will cause I was going to die. It scared the hell outta me. I try to ride safely, it can be hard though cause it is easy to twist the wrist.

It helped me tons buying a new bike 'cause I had to "break it in" - via the dealers / owners manual recommendations, so I stayed below the RPM limits(as much as I could lol).

But yeah, even now, if I so much as put a scratch on my baby, I would cry.
I'm not saying he's going to crash, just drop. Will probably happen at a speed of less than 5mph or possibly not moving at all, takes a little time to get used to moving all that weight around at low speeds.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would love to see that data... 40hp seems like a ton for a parallel twin with 250ccs...
Kawasaki Ninja 250R first official picture - Motorcycle News - MCN

However I know it's definitely not making 45, and I have not been able to find any official HP measurement. I was under the impression the 2008 was going to be more powerful than the 2007, but I'm finding it really hard to find any info that backs that up.

And as for this thread, why is everyone telling him to get a ****ing 600cc sport?

If he sits on the 250 and likes it, kudos to him for not needing to compensate for something with a bike that has 4 times the power. :rolleyes:

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
I'd suggest getting a used 250 if you want a 250, ride that for a while. When you feel ready, sell it and get a new one if it's still the bike you want. Most new riders don't really know what they want. After you've riden awhile you'll have a better idea of what you want from a bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts