Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....I have winter blues already and ended up at the Harley Shoppe yesterday. They sure are pretty....and the salesman really wanted to go out for a demo on a few, thankfully it was drizzling.

The only thing I do not like about my 1500 classic is the (look of) the driveshaft. After going aftermkt exhaust I chose not to relocate the rectifier so at least I do not have that hole there.

I've kept my 05 pretty basic (not a gaudy type guy) with just a few subtle changes like some small chrome here and there and a fire/steel backrest.

So b/4 I crack this winter and get bags, lightbar, crash bar and a few other wallet draining items.........can you guys remind me why my Vulcan is a cool bike?

I do not know what the mystique of the harley is...but I have this strong urge.:-D

·
Registered
294 Posts
bobg,

Take a deep breath and analyze the problem you are having..........Is it the ride or how people see you on your ride?????

If your are concerned as to how people perceive you, "riding a Metric" then by all means your ego needs the Harley.

If you like to ride a dependable, smooth, and in my opinion and the opinion of a lot of forum members a really cool looking bike that costs way less than a Harley, you are sitting on one.

If the drive shaft offends you, stick a piece of chrome on it and polish and it will look great. Dependablility is the driveshaft's middle name. It is engineered to be dependable and I have not read anything to the contrary.

There are a lot of people that the Harley is the only bike in the world, there are a lot of forum members that own both harley's and Kawasakis. It all boils down to one thing.

Don't care what you ride, the important fact is that you Ride.

Take three asprins and call me in the morning!! LOL

Ojisan

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, I could care less what other people think re:metric vs standard. Due to the nature of my job most of my riding is solo. When I do go w/friends about 60% are Harley Riders and NONE bust my chops about the metric.

I went w/this bike for the dependability of the FI, h20 cooled and shaft.

I looked at the chrome for the shaft and felt that it would only call more of my attention to it.

As to owning 2 bikes the thought has crossed my mind. This mystique thing just has me puzzled.

At 48 years old....I have yet to meet a woman who thought my bike should be a Harley, my first street bike WAS a harley, a 69 900 sportster to be exact.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i took a fat-boy out for a ride at a dealer that my place does business with,it was 17000.00 my price , but i love my 900 classic,the guys i ride with all ride hd and bust my chops but i wont give in i will keep my 900,i do like the fat-boy though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hear you on the drive shaft. I also do not like the looks of a driveshaft. The simplest answer I can give you is V2K. Upgrade to another kawa. Im not knocking HD, I love em, some day i hope to own a Cream/Blue Deluxe. However, If its only the driveshaft that bothers you, I would take a look at the V2K. Why must HD dealers be so tempting?? Ohh and why must they be right between my office and the bank....seriously.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I am perfectly happy with my 96 Vulcan 1500. It looks good, sounds good, and all the women (and some men) say, "Nice Harley" or "Nice bike". It's nothing real special...basically stock except for Cobra dragsters. It runs good, but still has a few qwirks. It's a lubbering beast...reminds me of a 2 wheeled tractor. It has it's own personality, it fits mine (kinda of a rebel) and it's paid for (2K). I have no problem parking it right next to a 30K plus Harley (shaft drive and all). I'm 59, bald, love to ride and don't give a rat's rear what anyone thinks of me.........but if you need the Harley to feel good about what you are doing, then I guess you'd better have one.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Hey, if you want a Harley, buy one! Life's too short not to do what you want. I personally love my 1500 and have no desire for a Harley. But if I did, I'd get one.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Best thing I can tell you is to ride your 1500 to the HD place. Ride the HD you like. Ride your 1500 home. If you like the HD better then get it. Now is probably a good time as the market is saturated and HD is laying off lots of workers. If you just want a big bike with belt drive, I'd look at the V2K. If you really want to see some good information on the HD vs other bikes just google the police side by side tests. The ones from Michigan and California are very comprehensive.

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did see a new 07 Heritage in white and gold trim that had a 17.2K tag on it. Very tempting, again tho I do not desire anything..........I am just trying to wrassle w/the Harley Mystique.........I kinda want one, but can't see any advantages and guess that I am looking for support....kinda like AA.:lol:

Of course a young redhead would be nice also............but I don't really NEED one of those either.:D

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
You know what... you need to find out what it is that is bothering you. Go try one out!! If you like it, then buy it. You'll hate to have to say "I wish I would have..." or "I wonder if..." later on. Like Julie says, you only live once, and you're not getting any younger.

No matter what you choose to do, you can stay right here and stay a part of our family... :wink: We love you here.

·
16,933 Posts
I did see a new 07 Heritage in white and gold trim that had a 17.2K tag on it. Very tempting, again tho I do not desire anything..........I am just trying to wrassle w/the Harley Mystique.........I kinda want one, but can't see any advantages and guess that I am looking for support....kinda like AA.:lol:

Of course a young redhead would be nice also............but I don't really NEED one of those either.:D
Trouble I tell you, nothing but trouble. :razz:

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Hello, my name is Dennis and I have a problem of not saying no, When it came to buying my new Vulcan this year I had a hard time with the Harley mystique. What won me over was the fact that after buying my Vulcan I had money left over. So I went on a trip to Pa. in August and met some wonderful people from this forum. That was a win win situation for me. Nobody can tell you what to do but I can say that Ma Kaw builds an awesome bike and I don't think you can go wrong with keeping your 1500.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts

If I got the HD I might be dead in a week, if I got the young redhead, I WOULD be dead in a week.:tongue:

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trouble I tell you, nothing but trouble. :razz:

ROTFLMAO..............SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH......quietly now so none of the cool women on this site hear me....but I'll tell you a secret..they are all physco.:D

I've been a lurker for awhile now and I think the gals here are cool cause they understand.

Anyone here hail from the Southern New England area, Mass, Ct, RI border area? Would love to hook up with some of the fine characters here.

·
16,933 Posts
women are pure evil.... all the way to the bone.... They'll get what they want, and it don't matter what it costs. :) Just watch and see.

**ducks from thrown knives**

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I got the HD I might be dead in a week, if I got the young redhead, I WOULD be dead in a week.:tongue:
Thx, I'll clean the coffee off my screen now.:biggrin:

The first is a possibility....the second is only probable if ya keep her for more than a week.:grin:

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
I think CheriAnn has one she is trying to get rid of. :lol:

Seriously, I don't get the Harley thing, my 1500 suits me fine.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
A Harley will not run any better, last any longer or do anything better than your 1500 other than feed your ego that "I got me a Harley". Think about the $500+ going out every month to pay for the thing. I honestly would not enjoy riding my bike nearly so much if I had to shell out some rediculous amount of $$ just to say I own one.
BTW.... take that demo ride. Everytime we get on a Harley it makes us glad we don't own one! The Softail Classic's that we rent on vacation are far inferior to my 1600. Yes, the chrome is pretty and the paint is great but the soul and substance isn't much when compared where the rubber meets the road. I can't wait to get home and ride my Kawasaki. But, if you must have one, it's still your choice.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Well, now you're mcscrewed.

OK....I have winter blues already and ended up at the Harley Shoppe yesterday. They sure are pretty....and the salesman really wanted to go out for a demo on a few, thankfully it was drizzling.

The only thing I do not like about my 1500 classic is the (look of) the driveshaft. After going aftermkt exhaust I chose not to relocate the rectifier so at least I do not have that hole there.

I've kept my 05 pretty basic (not a gaudy type guy) with just a few subtle changes like some small chrome here and there and a fire/steel backrest.

So b/4 I crack this winter and get bags, lightbar, crash bar and a few other wallet draining items.........can you guys remind me why my Vulcan is a cool bike?

I do not know what the mystique of the harley is...but I have this strong urge.:-D
Speaking of wallet-draining items, have you priced out the cost of a fully-kitted out Glide? or a service contract for the same? Have you seen the astonishing array of very expensive shiny bits available for these bikes?

My friend, if stopping wallet drain is an issue, you are headed for a dark and dangerous place.

I TOTALLY get the mystique thing though.
They are beautiful (I love the fatbob) The heart wants what it wants. If you gotta have it, you gotta get it, and who among us can tell you otherwise?

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My friend, if stopping wallet drain is an issue, you are headed for a dark and dangerous place.
The only wallet drain I was afraid of would be spending cash on the Vulcan over the winter and then cracking for a Harley.

He told me 17.3 K for the Heritage, I said what's your best finance option? He said are you ready for this............8.9 if I had a good credit score.

I said how bout no trade and I write you a check for 15.5 out the door. He said we don't take checks.... I told him he could swipe my credit card but only for 15.5K. He stuck on his price. I walked. I was not going to admit that I could probably never beat that price again...and this was the first Harley I saw that ever impressed me in the looks category.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts