Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So stupid here put glue on his accelarator grip before seeing how the new grip I was putting on looked.

Long story short - I need to get the grip off and cut a bit of the plastic away at the end of the barend. Anybody know how I would dissolve or otherwise get rid of the grip glue, so I don't have an ugly peice of plastic between my grip and the ignition housing...

Pleasepleaseohplease let this be possible...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
if you have access to a air compressor...take the air gun and shoot air inside the grip between the gripe and bar...it will break the bond...

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
You might have to just take the throttle cable housing apart and remove the throttle tube so you can cut it away when it is off the bike,this way you wont mess up your new grip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might have to just take the throttle cable housing apart and remove the throttle tube so you can cut it away when it is off the bike,this way you wont mess up your new grip.
That might just work...

Don't suppose anybody knows if the little lip on the riser end of the plastic throttle tube is there for anything?

It is a chrome and ruber ribbed grip, so I don't know if the compressed air will work. The knife - definitely not...

Thanks for the suggestions though! :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
No glue!! Use hairspray, White Rain works good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
pour acetone in a hyperdermic needle and shoot s much as you can in the grip gap and wait for it to work.......no acetone then try nail polish remover but its not nearly as good...

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
i believe the stock grip has the rubber on the end that actually fits over it.Other than that I dont think you would have a problem cutting it off.

·
99%er
239 Posts
I've done this twice before. Use a hot air gun and a flat screwdriver to lift up and start rolling it back like they showed us back in health class. BUT! be very careful not to hold the gun to long in one spot, be patient it will work.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
I've done this twice before. Use a hot air gun and a flat screwdriver to lift up and start rolling it back like they showed us back in health class. BUT! be very careful not to hold the gun to long in one spot, be patient it will work.
lmao

you must be younger then me, in my health class they just told us to stay away from the "forbidden fruit" altogether.

25 years and 2 kids later im thinking i should have listened to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No glue!! Use hairspray, White Rain works good.
Sorry... are you suggesting that as an alternative, or as a removal device?

I cant use any cutting, rolling or anything, as the grip is a solid rail grip. I basically have to work out how to break the glue bond and slide the grip off...

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Sorry... are you suggesting that as an alternative, or as a removal device?

I cant use any cutting, rolling or anything, as the grip is a solid rail grip. I basically have to work out how to break the glue bond and slide the grip off...
Oh, it sounds like you're SOL on this one. Sorry for the confusion- next time use hairspray instead of glue.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
You could try drilling a hole down thru the flange between the slide and the grip and then squirt some acetone or rubber cement thinner into the hole with a syringe. Kind of a long shot if you've made a really good bond.

It might be faster just to cut head of the slide off and then collapse what's left with a fine hacksaw blade and needlenose pliers. Of course you'd need a new slide..

I wonder if you could release the cement by boiling the grip in some water for a few minutes-or chuck it in the freezer for a few days and then whack the slide with a mallet?..

Thats all the brainstorm I have for today.. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
wd40 will help get it off the handle bar if i understand it right.... if you have the grip off already and it is made of both rubber and metal, you can try some PVC cleaner, however it may eat everything away

kenny

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Most CA glue has a limited temperature range and will fall apart at around 185 degrees. Maybe a heat gun or boiling water can be your friend, here.

·
-=V=-
245 Posts
pull the throtle sleeve off and put it in the deep feeze overnight ..that should break the bond .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts