Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help need to know wat to do about my kx125 clucth

help my 1988 kx125 clutch sounds like its not engaging and when i stop i cnt hold the clutch in as i dont think its engaging and have to stop the engine andy one that can help will be very thanked.

·
Registered
150 Posts
what do you mean you cant hold the clutch in ?

Will the lever not move .... if so you could have a number of issues with you clutch

1. the clutch cable could be froze up
2 the clutch actuating arm could be froze in the caseing
3. the clutch basket could be froze or it could be worn so bad the plates cant move when you try to release the clutch

i mean you have to give some more info for people to help you .... pics speak a 1000 words when asking for help

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you're trying to say that the bike wants to keep going when you try to stop even though the clutch lever is pulled in, first off what's the freeplay like at your lever? You could have too much. Do you know how to adjust the clutch. I can't believe the people I've seen thinking there is something wrong with their clutch when all it needs is properly adjusted. I don't want to assume you don't know how but you're not giving us much to go on. Maybe try to be a little more descriptive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
basically i can pull the clutch in and out but its tight and when i stop and sart a few times i have to adjust teh needle thing and the screws and when im stopping i cnt really hold the clutch ina nd the biek shands still it still moves slightly

·
Registered
150 Posts
The needle thing ???? are you talking about the carb? or what

But from what it sounds like you have a bad clutch pack/ basket but the only real way to find out is to open up the side case and see what it all looks like in there.

You see when the basket wears it gets notches in the sides of the fingers on the edge of the basket . Now when you try to pull the lever the fiber disks rub and catch on these notches making the lever real hard to pull. SOOOOOO my opion is like i said i would check the basket and the put new clutch plates in fiber ones and steel ones at the bare min (some people will say to replace the metal ones when you do the fiber ones, others say you can just do the fiber) But I would still check the cable and when you open it up try to work the clutch and see if you can see anything binding up ........ also check your adjustment on the lever

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
k thanks for that ill try it soon as ill add another message on here if i dont work and thanks again also do you know where to get the clutch plates from

·
Registered
150 Posts
there are lots of places on line that sell everything you could possible need for you clutch to include the basket plates (fiber and steel)

just do a search for motocross parts or dirt bike parts some of the bigger ones are:

motosport.com
rockymountain.com
and i think even this site beartooth has a parts site for oem kx parts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks il check and and try it tomorrow thanks for the help will message back when its done

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi just wondering whther there are any in the uk as dont have paypal and dolars cost more when working form pounds thanks anyway

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive undone everything nothing was rubbing and teh clutch s still stiff and not really engaging properly as when im in gera and hold the clutch in i cnt move the bike. any help

·
Registered
150 Posts
well if you cant move the bike with it in gear you definatally have somthing with the clutch going on. .... it sounds as if you dont have it adjusted correctly try taking the nut on the clutch perch out some to take some of the slack outta the clutch cable then when you pull the clutch see if the bike will move then ..... If it does then it was just mis adjusted

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi i ahve adjusted it properly and it does move when ive started the engine and gone off its when it stops or cuts out in gear i cnt move it then i can use the clucth to pull of on the setting its on now but when its stoppe din gear i cnt move it when holding the clutch in or startit in gear with the clutch in

·
Registered
731 Posts
mines drags a bit 2 when the bike is switched of and so does my mates there both 96 kx250 i replaced clutch plates last year as well as a new cable and its still exactly the same we just presumed that is was normal for a little drag when u say u cant move it do you mean the rear wheel is completly locked up or does it move but just a bit of a push to get it moving

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
basiaclly when it is in gear and turned off i try to push it with the clutch in and it doesnt move until i really try to push it unlike my dads dtr125 tht can start in gera and move in gera with the clutch

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i dont really know the guy just told me to use 2 stroke motorcycle oil in the shop and he has a cr125 91 and thats wat he uses

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wat is a tranny believe it or not i dont know everything as im onyl 14 and trying to do all this myself as not got load smoney for new bike just speak english please

·
Registered
150 Posts
basically you have 2 oils for a 2 stroke bike .... you have the premix oil that goes into the gas and then you have the craqnkcase oil .... thats the oil in the clutch and transmission .... I use Type F transmission fluid its cheap and you can change it after almost every ride .... pluse the oil is designed for wet clutches (that is what a bike has a wet clutch ) sooooooooooo with that said i would change the oil in it also casue the oil weight that is in there may be tooooo thick ... this would casue you clutch to feel tight or not allow it slip a little ........ but i would try this before you do anything else

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i ahve changed the oil in the clutch basket and i put diff oil in for teh petrol and it still tough to pull back

1 - 20 of 49 Posts