Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil in my '06 Mean Streak last week, and everything was fine. Yesterday I took about a 10 mile ride and this morning I decided to check the oil level. I lifted the bike just enough to get the bike level, and then checked the level. It appeared to be low, so I added 8 oz. This had no effect on the level, so I started the bike and let it run for a minute or two and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Still no change, so 8 more oz, let it run for a couple of minutes, and after sitting for another 10, same thing.

I had my wife come out and check the oil window while I tilted the bike as far right as I could, but no oil showed in the window.

I'm completely stumped. The oil light does not come on while I let it run. I used Rotella T 5W40 synthetic diesel oil when I changed it. One other thing, when I first got the bike out for the ride yesterday, I let it idle for about 2 minutes to let it warm up a little, and when I put the bike into first, it lurched forward, even though I had the clutch in. Thank goodness I had the front brake engaged. No problems after that.

What to do?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Where you able to see the actual line to where the oil filled (when you did the oilchange). I have the same kind of window and have had it happen that (if the oil is clean enough) it fills right past that stupid little window and is almost impossible to tell if its there or not. So you end up over filling. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Maybe drain and refill just to make sure that nothings clogged in the oilsite window. Don't know, just throwin out some ideas... good luck :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where you able to see the actual line to where the oil filled (when you did the oilchange). I have the same kind of window and have had it happen that (if the oil is clean enough) it fills right past that stupid little window and is almost impossible to tell if its there or not. So you end up over filling. Just a thought.
That's it! I just went outside and while SLOWLY raising my lift while keeping an eye on the oil level window while the bike started to shift to level, and sure enough, the level rose past the window, and since the oil is new (clean), the difference between no oil showing and the entire window being covered is indecipherable.

Thanks!!

What a dummy! Now to drain some oil.....

·
Registered
533 Posts
I got here too late....same thing happened to me... thought I was crazy... but, fresh oil is dang hard to see... (I felt like a dummy too)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The best part is holding the bike level while you're on your hands and knees trying to look at the sight glass.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
+1 for Rich!!!! I've got a big rectangular one from Advance Auto ($4).

That thing is a lifesaver!

One thing I've noticed as well, if I park my bike "normally" in the garage and check the oil it's about 3/4 the way up the glass. There is a very slight grade on the garage floor--maybe 1/4" every 4-5 feet. If I park it sideways in the garage where it's level front to back on the bike and bring it up level the oil is right in the middle or a little below the halfway mark. Just a little off level front to back can make some difference.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
The best part is holding the bike level while you're on your hands and knees trying to look at the sight glass.
I don't do the "hands and knees" trick. Try it this way...

Stand on sight glass side of bike, now face the rear of the bike. Place right hand on right grip/brake, squeeze that brake lever. Now put your left hand on grip as well, grab hold good and strong and hoist the bike up level. If I can do this with the Nad -it can't be that hard :p

Now here's the tricky part, and those of you with blood pressure issues -forget it and get back down on your hands and knees ;)

But- while holding the bike balanced with the right hand squeezing the brake/grip, just lock legs straight and bend over and look at the sight glass. I can't believe I'm some picture of super health and no body else can manage it. Maybe get a "safety helper" the first few times you try it so you can get a feel for the weight of the bike in this procedure.

But its really no trouble to check that sight glass and no need for an army, or jacks, or bowing and praying just to get a good look :cool:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Plato, that's how I do it with my meanie too...except I bend down on one knee while tilting the bike up straight to check the oil. Best way I know how to do it.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
When I'm doing an oil change, I put the bike up on one of DHack666's "V-Lifts" (just like a center stand) to hold the bike level.... add 3 quarts, top off to bring it up to the top of the glass, start it and run it a minute or two to fill the filter, then shut it down and top off to the middle of the glass.

The mirror is for the morning check before backing out of the garage. It doesn't even "live" in the toolbox... it stays on the edge of a box of crap within easy reach of where I park.

On a long highway trip, I'll ask my wife to get on her hands and knees and check it while I bring it up level.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
If you think THAT'S a dance, try an HD, those things have about 20 different ways to check oil.
Ya, but being a dry sump, it's pretty hard to overfill... if it's not spraying out the filler opening when the bike is running, it's not overfilled.

Just dump a quart in every morning :tongue:

Seriously though, that's how I handle my dirtbike. Spec is something like 1.1qts, or 1.3 with a filter change. I just dump in 1.5, so 3 quarts does both mine and my buddy's. He gets all anal about starting it, then letting it sit for 5 minutes, then checking the dipstick... spends 1/2 hour draining and filling to get it right. I keep telling him "Dude, just take the dipstick out and start it. No gusher? It's good to go!"
The oil tank overflow return is just above the dipstick, and it dumps into the valve cover... overfilling to that point can cause pressure buildup and blow out a cam end seal. The original spec for the Yamaha 250F was 1.8 quarts, and the only thing changed was the position of the dipstick... it moved from the top of the tank to the side (just below the overflow).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A big thanks to everyone for taking my dumb**s question and turning it into a constructive thread. I've been trolling this site for a month or so, and I must say that it's filled with the most knowledgeable and constructive information around.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Man I LOOOOVE my centerstand... :mrgreen:

·
'07 900 classic
38 Posts
It's little bits of wisdom like this that make this forum so worth while. I stoped off on my ride this morning and got an inspection mirror, and life just got simpler. I share the garage with two cars, so there is no way I can cancel the slope of the floor by turning sideways. What I do is just roll the back tire up on a piece of 1/4" plywood. Also, I know you are supposed to check the oil before each ride but I find it easier to do at the end of the ride when the oil is already hot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts