Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just turned 16 and im wanting to buy a new zx6r it will be my firts bike over 500cc and my first crochroket. ive been rideing bikes for 5 yrs starting with a 125cc honda and moving up to a 250cc yamaha and finely a 500cc yamaha but they where all curisers but ive rode my brother zx6r a couple of times and i love it. Is that a to big of bike to move up to??? or should a start out with a 500cc class bike? plz give me some advice. Thxs

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Questions...

As you know it's a different style bike...We don't know if you are responsable enough to handle one, what your maturity level is...can you afford the bike out of your own pocket and can you afford the insurance out of yor own pocket or will you be making payments? IF you can't afford it outright, I'd stick with a used bike till you get the hang ov the bike and how they handle different and save the money up for a serious down payment. or pay-off. I think that you will find some changes coming to the 600's in the very near future...in my opinion. The ZX-10R may have Titanium Valves but so does the Suzuki GSX-600R. THere are some changes coming to the Kawasaki 500, I would expect because the bike hasn't changed in a long time and Suzuki has a full Fairing on their new 500 model. The bikes are getting lighter, and better, smarter with the aid of ECU's...and IF I wasn't in a big hurry I'd buy a used bike and read everything about what the industry is doing...the 2004 bikes are out...and we should be looking at new stuff sometime soon...at any rate it gives you time to buy one new or used or even a reposessed one...Arghhh! Save some time nd money, even insurance money and watch the market closely...you can shell out the money anytime you are ready...you may find a great 500 cheap as someone else may be making the switch up as well...

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
How can you have been riding cruisers for 5 years if you're only 16 ?

What's your real on road experience ? How many miles have you actually ridden on public roads ?

Stick with a 500 bike unless you're independantly wealthy cause the bike is relatively expensive and the insurance rates will knock your socks off.

You don't mention any training, take MSF.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
How can you have been riding cruisers for 5 years if you're only 16 ?

What's your real on road experience ? How many miles have you actually ridden on public roads ?

Stick with a 500 bike unless you're independantly wealthy cause the bike is relatively expensive and the insurance rates will knock your socks off.

You don't mention any training, take MSF.
It's Arizona man, everybody has a gun there :lol: , so who is gonna stop a 11 year old from riding! :twisted:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BIKE

UNTIL You are old enough I'd be working on a Ninja 250R. You can find them fairly inexpensive especially when it comes to insurance adn economy. I'm 51, now and I'm more excited about this bike than the Honda 1600, Kawasaki GPz550 or even my Suzuki GS450S. The NINJA 250R has the title and gets it's just desert because it kicks some serious power! You can get eerything from clip-ons, rearsets, seats, complete bodywork, several sets of good tires, even swap out shocks for a great one...all the while saving money...Till yo uare ready...or even if you are...GO FOR THE NINJA 250R!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, oh and yes iv had lots of road practice probaly about 19000 miles worth or more i take road trips all the time but im ready for a real bike a bike i can go hang out with or go have fun on wiith my bro, i have taken a bike riding thing and the instructer asked why did i even come to the course saying that i wasted my money on his teaching cus i was so good of a rider. i have not had any tickets or accedents i havent droped a bike yet not to say i wont but i do agree on buy a used bike. i found 1 yesterday but i didnt buy it it was a 2000 zx6 for 2000.00$ and no damage with 3000 miles. my insureance would be 643.00 for 12 months should i buy or wait for more.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
TimothyG said:
I just turned 16 and im wanting to buy a new zx6r it will be my firts bike over 500cc and my first crochroket. ive been rideing bikes for 5 yrs starting with a 125cc honda and moving up to a 250cc yamaha and finely a 500cc yamaha but they where all curisers but ive rode my brother zx6r a couple of times and i love it. Is that a to big of bike to move up to??? or should a start out with a 500cc class bike? plz give me some advice. Thxs
1. Grow up :roll:
2. Take the MSF class!!! 8)
3. 500cc should be your first bike.......USED!!! :wink:

·
Registered
613 Posts
TimothyG said:
If you can handle your brothers bike then get a 6R or another 600cc bike. Just give yourself plenty of time to get used to it. Make sure you where good safety gear.

·
Registered
456 Posts
TimothyG said:
I just turned 16 and im[sic][sic] wanting to buy a new zx6r[sic] it[sic] will be my firts[sic] bike over 500cc and my first crochroket[sic]. ive[sic] been rideing[sic] bikes for 5 yrs[sic] starting with a 125cc honda[sic] and moving up to a 250cc yamaha[sic] and finely[sic] a 500cc yamaha[sic] but they where[sic] all curisers[sic] but ive[sic] rode my brother[sic] zx6r a couple of times and i[sic] love it. Is that a[sic] to[sic] big of bike to move up to[sic]??? or[sic] should a[sic] start out with a 500cc class bike? plz[sic] give me some advice. Thxs[sic]
TimothyG said:
ok[sic], oh[sic] and yes[sic] iv[sic] had lots of road practice probaly[sic] about 19000 miles worth or more[sic] i[sic] take road trips all the time but im[sic] ready for a real bike[sic] a bike i[sic] can go hang out with or go have fun on wiith[sic] my bro[sic], i[sic] have taken a bike riding thing and the instructer[sic] asked why did[sic] i[sic] even come to the course[sic] saying that i[sic] wasted my money on his teaching cus[sic] i[sic] was so good of a rider. i[sic] have not had any tickets or accedents[sic][sic] i[sic] havent[sic] droped[sic] a bike yet[sic] not to say i[sic] wont[sic] but i[sic] do agree on buy[sic] a used bike. i[sic] found 1[sic] yesterday but i[sic] didnt[sic] buy it[sic] it[sic] was a 2000 zx6 for 2000.00$[sic] and no damage with[sic] 3000 miles. my[sic] insureance[sic] would be 643.00 for 12 months[sic] should[sic] i[sic] buy or wait for more.[sic]
Why are you asking us? You already have as much experience as anyone here -- maybe only 5 years, but your 5 years of experience makes you far more knowledgeable than anyone here with 20. The ZX6R is a bike for babies. A ZX12R would be much more appropriate for your abilities, and you can probably find one in mint condition under $2,500.
Curt

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

ok[sic], oh[sic] and yes[sic] iv[sic] had lots of road practice probaly[sic] about 19000 miles worth or more[sic] i[sic] take road trips all the time but im[sic] ready for a real bike[sic] a bike i[sic] can go hang out with or go have fun on wiith[sic] my bro[sic], i[sic]
so a 500 cruiser is not a REAL bike? :roll: hmmmmmm
i know some folks who will debate that :lol:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Valentino Rossi

So I think that the 2003 MotoGP World Champion on his 250 would put 99.9% of the FORUM riders to shame...So if the kid wants a 600, or a 1300, so what...ther is no reason to debate what his rich daddy will buy him. I just hope his dad has lots of money for insurance and a concsience for what happens. His dad could buy him an 80cc dirt bike and he could still get hurt...but probably not take someone else with him when he messes up. Not much we can do...headstones are for those that are not smart enough to listen, change, or learn, or just get to tired to carry on any more...sooner for some people than later. Hey, it's my 2 pennies worth...

·
Registered
3 Posts
wow your all like a bunch of old women

so what if tim wants a 600 and so what if he dosent have all the miles under him a kids gonna be a kid. look at me i never even sat on a bike and i picked up a 2002 zx9. i took the class in march and have been riding every day that i can. knock on wood i havnt dumped the bike, i take it slow and have some good people who i ride with. tim you will be just fine. however if you have read any of the other posts you could have seen this coming. everyone on this site will tell you to buy a 250. good luck and do you really know how far 19000 miles is. that would be like driving across the USA 6 times. good for you

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TIM is asking for advice?

You ask we provided...IF someone else has advice then do so. If you have a problem with our advice then address us with your issues. If someone has issues about size, I'll find a soapbox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for all the great advice, i think im gona just ride my brother bike for a couple more weeks then my a zx6r and go from there ill let yall know how im doing in a couple of weeks if ya want me to i really thank yall so much. and for who ever said i was rich and stuff like that your wroung i work for every penny i have and every thing that i have so dont think that im a spoiled little brat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know I'm going to get slamed by you 250 guys but here goes.

If you want to get a 600 get the 600. If you want a ZX-10 then get that. Just don't ride beyond your abilities. If you can't do that then... oh well, it sounds like you have your mind made up anyway.

I don't think I would recomend a 250 to anyone. My friend has one and I have taken it out a few times. Maybe I'm too big or something but, I cant see why anyone over 150 lbs. would want to ride the 250. The only thing I liked about it was the handling but, anyting that small should handle real well, It kind of felt like my old DR250 dirt bike only handled like the moped I use to ride when I was 13. I don't care what anyone says it's a slow bike. I'm not saying a newb should go out and do 150mph, and I'm not saying I'm at the skill level where I'm draging my knee around a tight corner. It's just most people on a sport bike want that get up and go off the line that a 600 will give you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tim riding around on your bros bike is the best thing you could do. Get used to the bike, take it slow, and don't pretend your a "world champ motoGP racer". IMO the biggest part of riding a bike is getting used to it, and how it's gonna corner, balance, acclerate and brake.

Let us know how ya do. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts