Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have a '98 Bayou 220 and I am replacing the rear axle seal on the left side. I took off the wheel and am lost already, lol. I did get the wheel and plate off, then removed the seal that was around the axle that was visible. I am under the impression that now have to remove the final gear or whatever, but I am trying to save on parts. Please someone guide me on how to change out the bearings? If you are standing at the back of the atv it is the left side, thanks. It shouldn't be all that hard, but I don't wanna jack anything up, lol.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
You are on the right track. Once you get the hub and axle retainer removed, you pull the seal, then you will see a circlip that holds the bearing in the housing. Use your circlip pliers and compress that clip and pull it out.

Then it is almost always necessary to use a slide hammer and attach it to the hub nut on the end of the axle and give it a few whacks to slide the axle out of the housing enough to push the bearing out so you can replace it.

The bearing will pull out as the axle slides out. Only pull the axle enough to be able to remove the bearing, then slide the axle back into the differential. Install the new bearing. Usually the bearing will press into the housing without much effort, but sometimes it is necessary to use a tube style bearing driver to seat it fully so the circlip will snap back where it goes.

Whatever you do, do not go whacking the bearing with a punch to try and drive it back in the housing. That will deform the outer bearing race, destroying the bearing, and can result in the need to remove the entire axle housing from the left side to then press out the deformed bearing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, I was worried I would have to remove the rearend and have to screw around with the coil over shock and have a hard time removing the axle to get to the bearing! There are 2 bearings right? One near the end of the axle where the wheel attatches and another near the final drive??? If the one near the final drive is bad I will probably need to take it to a shop or can I repair it myself fairly quickly? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Whatever you do, do not go whacking the bearing with a punch to try and drive it back in the housing. That will deform the outer bearing race, destroying the bearing, and can result in the need to remove the entire axle housing from the left side to then press out the deformed bearing.
Sounds like the voice of experience...

The inner bearing is made into the differential housing itself. It can be replaced if it is bad but unless you have experience setting gear lash (or just really enjoy headaches and reading a service manual) better leave that one to the professionals. The good news is, when the outer bearing goes bad usually the inner survives unless it was run without gear lube or with dirt in it for any extended period of time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the inner bearing was bad so I just swapped rearends out. I was in the process of changing out the bearing, but someone beat me to it and put the bearing in 1st w/out putting in the axle 1st so.... now I am stuck with trying to get the bearing out. Btw, the only part of the bearing left is the larger part or the race that sits on the axle wall, hopefully I can remove it tomorrow... Any suggestions???

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I am going to get a bearing pulled tomorrow morning and am praying to the atv god that I am able to successfully remove it! I don't know who tried putting it in or removing it and leaving it like they did, but no one will fess up to it!!! Oh well, someone meant well, but caused more work for me in the process!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
A blind hole bearing puller is the tool you need in that situation but with only the outer race still in there, there's the possiblity that there isn't enough to grab onto for a bearing puller to work. Another option is to get a < 1/2" diameter steel bar and grind it so that it has a taper on one end. Stand the axle tube on two bricks with the race needing to be driven down and put the tapered side of the rod onto the race and smack it with a hammer. The outer water pump bearing on my bayou had to be done like that. I had to scale it down to the size of the bearing but the principle is the same.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well since I had the other bayou 220 as a parts giver I was able to just do a quick swap of the axle tubes then replaced the bearing...... End result, a job well done thank you very much, lol. It runs great except now I believe I have a need to get a complete tune up done on it and the carb cleaned as well cuz it pops when I throttle up. It also completely died when I was in 5th gear, twice??? Not sure of the reason for it, but I'm sure someone has had it happen and any diagnosis would be helpful, thanks, Frank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts