Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey sorry to bother you all but i purchased an 87 EX500 for something to play around on for my first bike anyway it drove pretty good for the first week and now it seems to be really cutting out when i goto take off with no power but when it get to 6to7k is comes alive and runs fine !! not really sure what this is but i am going to put in new plugs tomorrow any help would be greatly appreciated I just want to be able to enjoy it before I am deployed to Iraq on June 1st thanks ahead of time hope to see you guys around a lot !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah and.......

also seems to stumble/miss when idling and when slightly reving in nuetral or with clutch in (idle to about 2000-2500) it kind of spits out the exhaust

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have similar occuring on my 97 gpz500 (ex500 for you yanks) it will idle fine for a few mins, then progressivly miss till the revs drop to about 500rpm then pick up again for a few seconds till it starts missing again.
The part you mentioned about the power is because the 'powerband' for the ex/gpz engine is 6k(ish)-11k, when you open the throttle you really notice it, the bike gradually picks up speed, then you hit 7k and you get thrown back while the bike screams off.

On another note, do any of you have to use the choke? wheni am starting i sometimes have to give it a bit of throttle when its cold started but i dont know when i should be using the choke.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i asked a mechanic friend of mine and he said that my problem is due to the bike running slightly too rich, he said that its really not a problem since once the revs pick up the bike is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey

well i figured it out the next day it was the plugs one was fouled so i put i some new ones and it runs better than ever then i went to go on a ride down the street the automatic valve in the petcock decided to get a hole in it sutting the fuel off so 15$ and another day later its running great !! thanks for all the help guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts