Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Jason C
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 900C 07. I saw some pics of one in the forum here with no badges. I love the clean look of the tank that way. How do I remove these without hurting the tank. Any help would be appreciated. I have a few mods that I want to do and then I will post pics. This forum is the best place I have found for advice on my Kaw. Thanks and keep it coming.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
+1 on the floss/fishing line.

Wear leather gloves or you WILL cut yourself. I use quick detail spray as a lubricant. Goof-Off or Goo-Gone does a good job of cleaning off the remaining residue.

Be VERY careful on the '07 Meanie SE.... that bike has the standard ebony tins with graphics laid on and then shot with a flat clearcoat.
One member removed the "Special Edition" graphic from just in front of the seat and was left with a glossy spot.

The "Kawasaki" badges on the side covers will peel right off with a little heat from a hairdryer or sitting in the sun.

·
2012 GT1400 Concours
658 Posts
I've done this a few times now. I had a 2007 Vn900 and originally put some 800 badges on a pair of National Cycle Hardbags. One fell off so I had to remove what was left and I replaced it. Then later I removed all the badges. I then got a 2007 V2K and removed all the badges (tank and side covers). I used a hairdryer, fishing line and goo gone. Some advice would be: to heat it up evenly at first and quite a bit where you're going to start pealing and a little more just after that point (if that makes sense - in otherwords leading with the heat where you're going to peal). I actually found that once the badge starts to pop off it comes off pretty easy. Dont worry about the glue (patch) thats left behind. With a pair of suede / leather gloves you can peal off pretty big sections (it kinda rolls off and the gloves help from burning your hands also with the heated glue). With whats left it'll come off with the goo gone. Its a real pain in the butt and takes a little longer than I would have liked (enter some frustration but overall glad that there is no damage). On the goo gone it recommends usiing a cotton cloth like a tee-shirt. The first time I tried to use a different cloth that I thought would be less abrasive but guess what... the tee-shirt works like magic compared to other cloths. Good luck and don't forget to post some before and after pics.
If you want to see some of my pics you'll have to dig here in the subfolders:
rdap98 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nothing more to add really as it has been said above. I did it on my meanie. It just takes a little time, just don't rush it. You can use WD40 to help remove the residue glue instead which is what I used. Once the badge is off just roll the foam/glue left over in your fingers while it is warm but using gloves can help. I didn't though as I am a tough old boot.
This is my meanie with badges removed and pinstripes added !!
]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Funny, I just came in from the garage after removing my badges. I used the fishing line & hair drier technique, but what was left was totally impervious to WD-40. This stuff was rock hard & stuck like a tick. I didn't think to use the hair drier to soften the residue, but I did go to O-Reilleys & picked up a can of Klean Strip decal & adhesive remover. It took a little while, but eventually all the residue melted off. A dab of wax and now it looks great!

Earlier today I swapped out the stock shocks with VTX1300 shocks, and then took it for a little ride. Nice and firm, but not jarring. I'm just thankful that we finally got a day above 40. It was 3 above just a few days ago here in central Illinois. Tomorrow it will warm up to near 60. Time to ride!

·
T,J&R 4ever
1,369 Posts
goo be gone works pretty good to get off the residue

·
Jason C
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info. As soon as the pregnant wife passes out for her mid day nap my badges are gone. I wil use the fishing line,since I have plenty around, and goo be gone. I have a heat gun but am concerned about heating the tank with gas in it. Tank is full since I winterized the bike. Is this a concern?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Tank is full since I winterized the bike. Is this a concern?
You are going to warm it... not heat it :smile:
The gas will circulate the heat... but if it makes you feel better, the aux tank in my dad's '74 Blazer used to BOIL before he put heat shields on the mufflers.

I've boiled fuel in my dirtbike tank before I put heat-foil on it and wrapped the header.

Keep the tank closed and don't provide an ignition source for the fumes, you're fine. If you don't smell gas, then neither can the heating coil in the hair dryer. Heat alone won't cause a problem, you have to have the proper mixture of oxygen, plus the heat has to bring the vapor to it's flash point.
There's no way you're going to get 4 gallons of gas to it's flashpoint with a hairdryer in a cold garage. You probably won't even get the opposite side of the tank warm to the touch... focus on warming the badge itself, that will soften the tape.

·
Jason C
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rich. That badge is gone tommorow.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
This is my meanie with badges removed and pinstripes added !!
Vtwin, that looks really sweet on your bike. It that painted on graphics or vinyl graphics?8)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an 07 900c as well, I used the hair dryer and then used rainx wipes to remove the glue, after getting the big stuff first. The rainx worked better than goo gone. I also removed the reflective badges under the rear chrome accents and the one of the front forks. Good luck and lets see those pics.

·
Jason C
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got the badges off without a hitch. Whole thing took about 30 minutes. I used a heat gun and WD-40. I kept the area hot that I was woking on and as I rubbed an area I moved the heat gun over the next. The process went very smooth. I will post pics as soon as I get a good day to take pics. Thanks for the help. I am trying to get the wife to loosen her hold on my wallet for the pulley and some grips.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well I got the badges off without a hitch. Whole thing took about 30 minutes. I used a heat gun and WD-40. I kept the area hot that I was woking on and as I rubbed an area I moved the heat gun over the next. The process went very smooth. I will post pics as soon as I get a good day to take pics. Thanks for the help. I am trying to get the wife to loosen her hold on my wallet for the pulley and some grips.
Glad it all went well Jason..Now we need the pics !!!

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Just curious, how did you get it started? Did you just peel the badges off? or did you use the fishing line or similar......

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
why do people remove the badges??????????do you also take the emblems off your clothes , cars, TV's ect????????? just curious

1 - 20 of 25 Posts