Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I made the mistake of riding a Rocket 3. My buddy came over so that I could take some pics of his ride. He has been trying to get me to ride it since the lone star rally. I keep telling him some other time. Due to he has a car tire on the back. (just doesnt like right).. Well, At first was really awkward, One really has to push hard to get the bike to turn. While I am still not crazy about the tire thing, the power and torque was more than I ever expected. You truely are on a rocket... My meanie is still new with 700 miles on her. I know I will take a loss if I trade her in. Best bet would be to selll it out right. The downside is that triumph has no local dealers. Austin,Houston, are the closest dealers to me. Has anyone else here gone thru a similiar experience?

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Man, that would be a hard choice. The Triumph is a great looking machine and all the reviews of the new model have been positive. I don't think I would like the car tire though, unless you were going to only drive in a straight line. Having the dealer so far away is a good/bad thing. Bad if you need something done. Good that you have an excuse to go for a nice ride every time it is due for service. ;) Glad I'm not making that decision.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Well, I made the mistake of riding a Rocket 3. [text omitted] Well, At first was really awkward, One really has to push hard to get the bike to turn. While I am still not crazy about the tire thing, the power and torque was more than I ever expected. You truly are on a rocket... My meanie is still new with 700 miles on her. I know I will take a loss if I trade her in. Best bet would be to sell it out right. The downside is that triumph has no local dealers. Austin, Houston, are the closest dealers to me. Has anyone else here gone thru a similar experience?
Ja! It's a derivative of buyer's remorse-- "if only I'd waited longer; if only I'd done more research; if only I wasn't so impulsive; etc." If you want to be talked out of buying the Triumph, then all you have to do is consider cost-benefit-consequences. You will take a "soaking" on a bike with 700 miles, but if you can afford paying for at least half the difference (not exceeding $10K) and get a decent rate, follow your heart. But remember, this is the last time your hear trumps your brain for five years! lol

·
Registered
552 Posts
Avoid choosing bikes that you don't have a nearby dealer for.

Or, get in touch with Ken Shoreline Motorsports in Kenosha. He'll take your Meanie in on trade for a new Rocket. In fact, I think he has a used one, too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The dealer factor is a biggy. I have to drive my V2K at least 50 miles to do anything to it. And you never know when they'll be done with 'em.

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
Also, I have read the NEW Rocket III is a lot better with handling and in many other ways.

If you want a Rocket III, make sure you ride the Newest model before you jump.

In the end, you HAVE to be happy riding your bike. If not, then it will bug you every time you ride. You just have to decide if you can or want to take the hit or loss in what your bike is worth.

Good luck either way...:smile:

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
Well, I made the mistake of riding a Rocket 3. My buddy came over so that I could take some pics of his ride. He has been trying to get me to ride it since the lone star rally. I keep telling him some other time. Due to he has a car tire on the back. (just doesnt like right).. Well, At first was really awkward, One really has to push hard to get the bike to turn. While I am still not crazy about the tire thing, the power and torque was more than I ever expected. You truely are on a rocket... My meanie is still new with 700 miles on her. I know I will take a loss if I trade her in. Best bet would be to selll it out right. The downside is that triumph has no local dealers. Austin,Houston, are the closest dealers to me. Has anyone else here gone thru a similiar experience?
If you're digging the Rocket because of power consider the V2k. Not quite as fast but probably handles better ( But I've never ridden the Rocket only read about it.) And if you have a Meanie now, I would assume you have a Kawasaki dealer near by who would do right by a trade if you're getting another Kawi so that’s solves two problems. Your new V2K would hang with your friends Rocket real easy. I know reviews are subjective but this one may help :D :D Go to page 7 on the review, the V2K wins!
2005 Bruiser Cruiser Comparo - MotorcycleUSA.com

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah Yes, The V2K. This is what I originally was going to get me. Here's what happened. My wife had recently taken the MSF class and got her license. She wanted to get something bigger than her Buell Blast. We went to the Kawa. Store and she fell in love with the MS. She sat on it moved it around alittle and said This is my bike. She fell in love with Matte Black and Flames. We bought it and brought it home. Right off the get go I knew it was too much bike for her to handle. More of a weight factor than a power factor. needless to say, The MS became mine. We went out and bought her a 07 Honda shadow Spirit 750 C2 . That took care of her. Now i am trying to cope with The Meanie. Dont get me wrong, it is a great bike but I wanted a more relaxed riding position. I was looking at the 08 V2Ks' . I really liked the blacked out treatments on the 08. I was also looking at the Rocket3 and the C109R. I am starting to think I can make the Meanie fit me. After all, Poor Poor me I have to ride a meanie. Thats not such a terrible thing.LOL

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
If you're digging the Rocket because of power consider the V2k. Not quite as fast but probably handles better ( But I've never ridden the Rocket only read about it.) And if you have a Meanie now, I would assume you have a Kawasaki dealer near by who would do right by a trade if you're getting another Kawi so that’s solves two problems. Your new V2K would hang with your friends Rocket real easy. I know reviews are subjective but this one may help :D :D Go to page 7 on the review, the V2K wins!
2005 Bruiser Cruiser Comparo - MotorcycleUSA.com
I've ridden with Rockets -- two of 'em on a small group ride. The 2K will definately hang with them. Of course, mine is modded a bit with intake/pipes and the Rockets were stock.

Now I'm not saying I'd beat them -- I seriously doubt that. But blasting around, they're all right there near the same mark.

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
Man-O-Man do I agree with you on the 2008 V2k. I'm digging the new black midnight look. Go talk to your Dealer, he'll take a meanie in with Matte Black and Flames, he can sell that one quick and your Wife has got to be sympathetic to you gettin stuck with a bike that was your second choice, doesn't she? I'm sorry I don't want to start a fight between you and your wife but it sounds like your first choice would have been the V2k. Am I wrong? Just listen to all the V2k’ers on the forum I’ve heard very little negative and a whole lotta positive. The Rocket is nice but before you pull that trigger you better ride a V2k! Hey, wish you the best with any decision you make, just my $.02:)

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Yeah, you'd lose your shirt on the MS, but the Rocket III just owns. I too have heard that the new Touring version is a big improvement handling wise. Not sure if the normal Rocket also got those changes. Anyway, good luck deciding ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, my wife is very sympathetic to the issue. she says I can trade her in or sell it out right. (The meanie, not her...LOL). It's just alot of money to loose.We got the bike for $10,300. Probably would have to eat 2-3k. Right now I'm under the weather , But when I get over this crud I'll Go see the dealer and see what they can do on that 08 V2K. It sits with me a whole lot better Buying a Kawa. at a local dealership and not have to deal with the issues of taking a bike outa town every time I need something done. Thanks for all the input.....;)

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
"Ridiculously heavy"?

Now it's (V2K) heavy but "ridiculously heavy" that may be a little strong. Besides, being Heavy is part of the appeal. As for the tires, how many more miles can you get on the meanies tires? If I can get 8-10000 on these Metzeler's I just bought I'd say it's worth the fun I'm having on this beast! Plus there's just something cool about riding a really fast TANK!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Ride Naked ..
2,607 Posts
IMO stick with your Meanie , but i aint one to give advise . i have been accused of changing bikes like my jock's ..

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
Anyone getting 10,000 miles on a V2K rear motorcycle tire, raise your hand.
You may have a point 10000 may be wishful thinking. How many miles can you get on the rear of your meanie?

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
Anyone getting 10,000 miles on a V2K rear motorcycle tire, raise your hand.
Not me - I got 5000 miles out two Bridgestones and now I'm on a new set of Metzlers. I like the handling on the Metzlers much more than the Bridgestones, but I seriously doubt I'll get anymore miles on the rear Metz.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
You may have a point 10000 may be wishful thinking. How many miles can you get on the rear of your meanie?
I used to get about 6000 out of a rear on my meanie.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Simple solution-----go test ride the V2k, you will forget all about the Rocket...LOL

Meanie is a nice bike too, I traded mine in for the 2000 back in the spring. Its really all about what YOU want. You have to pick the bike that works for you, otherwise you will just be unhappy with it forever.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
OEM Bridgestone 7,500. I think that with the V2K and Triumph triple we're getting shown that current tire technology is at it's limit for the bikes weight and power. At least in terms of reasonable mileage.

Does the ECU in the V2K limit performance in the lower gears?
Yes, it does. Many have installed a resistor in the wiring to fool the ECU to think its in 5th gear all the time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts