Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to replace my air filter for the first time today on my vn900. I removed all the screws allen screws but can not get the phillips screw at the top to budge. I'm afraid I will round the head out and not be able to remove ithas anyone else had this problem and of how did you resolve it . Also there was some oil in the breather only small amount but enough to alarm me should I be worried.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tried to replace my air filter for the first time today on my vn900. I removed all the screws allen screws but can not get the phillips screw at the top to budge. I'm afraid I will round the head out and not be able to remove ithas anyone else had this problem and of how did you resolve it . Also there was some oil in the breather only small amount but enough to alarm me should I be worried.
Don't worry about oil in air filter. Never seems to add up to much. Manual seems to call for too much when changing. Fill just to line when doing oil change. As for air filter. Break it off and use vise grips to turn the screw after filter is removed. New filter comes with new screw. Changed mine to a Baron's Big Air kit with a K & N filter and it still drips some from the filter. There was a thread on this site that relocated crankcase breather to the bottom of the bike and no more oil in the filter....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Combs, yea somehow they get that screw really really tight on install. My new filter they got smart and put an allen type screw in it. Try putting your screwdriver in the screw and lightly tapping it with a hammer or sutable substitue. While tapping it also try to turn it loose. This may get it loose for you. In the event it dont then you can go the distructo mode. I kept my old one and washed it out with a detergant soap and then blew it out with the compressor and let dry. If something should happen to where I had to have a filter, say the one in it now got oil soaked or something I would have a back up to get to the dealer (40mi away). To dang expensive to keep one around. Dang I was K&N would get off thier duff and make a replacemnt type filter.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Mine was the same way. Just put a lot of pressure and it will come off. Make sure you're using the correct size screw driver though.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I used an impact screwdriver on my first one after tapping on my normal screwdriver didn't work.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Add another to the "mine was stuck, too". I think they threadlocked it but good.

I ended up breaking the filter and taking vice grips to the screw top.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had the same problem when I had my 900. I took it to the dealer and let them tear it up and replace it for free. :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Same problem here. After I removed it I took a hacksaw and cut it so a large 'negative' screwdriver would fit. It worked fine until I got the BAK.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The first time I removed the air filter (to see how it all was put together, I'm weird like that) I noticed they really torque down those screws!

I also got a good length of transmission fluid line (I forget the size but bring the stock breather line in to compare) and wound it up around the bottom of the fuel tank and back down to the air filter box and I've had minimal oil in there at most.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I guess I had the 'new girl' put my air filter on at the factory, 'cause it wasn't too tight . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts