Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, my name is Frank and I just join this forum and hope to get some help from members regarding my project. I got myself a classic Ninja 750r/ ZX-750F 87-90 model last year (not new to riding, just been away from 15 years, hence my choice in old bikes) and enjoy it but struggling to keep up with my friends on latest toys.

The 750 got a stock geometry of 27d Rake, trail 97mm/3-7/8” which handle like a brick, then there is the 16” front wheel which make the bike feel like a brick with a shaky front so I decides to do something about it.

1. I replace the rear air shock with a 1” longer rear shock off a SV650, Stock was 12.18” long and new one is 13” long and it raise the rear about 1.5-1.75”

2. I swap the stock 3.5” x 18” rim 140/70-18 rear with a 88-90 ZX10 4.5”x18” rim 170/60-18. Even though new tire is 10% lower in tire profile but I do noticed a change in bike height (its higher) due to larger rubber?

3. I swap the stock front wheel 2.5”x16” rim 120/80-16 with a 88-90 ZX10 front 3.5”x17” rim 120/60-17. The new rim/tire also drop the front profile about a ¼”-1/2” compare to stock.

I just finish the mod and test ride it locally around couple blocks and noticed a new bike below me. Handling become so easy that it scare me like I can think the bike into a turn without much effort at the bar compare to stock.

I wonder if I have gone too far? I hear somewhere that if you raise the bike 1” either way, you’ll change the rake by 1 degree, does that sound right? If that’s the case then I figure I have drop the rake from 27 stock to 25? Anybody out there have knowledge regarding bike geometry please give me some feedback as I have not take it to the freeway or test it in the canyons but I want to make sure what I did is not too extreme or safe to ride. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just post some pictures that I uploaded to Flickr but its not showing up, Can someone help make it appear? Thanks.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
Decreasing your rake angle can make the bike handle differently, for sure. i would be concerned about getting into a tank slapper at higher speeds without a steering damper in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts