Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '03 MS and I am getting it painted. I need to take off the fenders, side covers, and the tank. Is this something easy to do? I have worked on cars in the past and could I could figure things out when it comes to cars. But, this is my first bike. I am replacing the rear fender with a lowandmean fender. Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Real easy. You can't screw it up.

Front fender, 4 bolts, done!

Rear fender, remove struts, remover the 2 allen bolts on each side and remove the 2 bolts under the seat on the back of the frame, unplug the harness, pull the fender out the back, Done. You will have to remove the taillight and stuff it's easy to do one the fender is off the bike.

Get the tank close to empty, less chances to spill. remove the dash, unplug the switch and stuff Unplug the fuel pump harness(under the seat), remove the one bolt at the back of the tank and the breather hose, the front just rest on the rubber bumpers, lift the back of the tank up unplug the fuel lines, get the tank off.

Side covers are self explanatory. If you want to remove the lock, just remove the plastic nut on the inside and pull the lock out.

Just be carefull not to scratch the tins when putting them back on, if your not use to it get a buddy to help for the re-install.

Glenn

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have got everything off except the tank. I'm just wating for some friends to get off work to help me get the tank off. I've removed the bolts for the tank but don't want to get fuel everywhere. The tank has about a have a tank full. When I get the tank off, I will remove the fuel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cut piece of 5/16 plastic tubing about 6 to 8 inches long and plug the nipples when you remove the hoses (1 end of the tube on each nipple) no spill (or very little if you do it quick eneough. with 2 guys it will be easy not to spill any. open the gas cap to release any pressure and close it back up, before unplugging stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts