Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all newbie here. I have a 2000 KSF 250 Mohave and I am having a problem with the head. I bought this atv broken because being disabled I do not have the funds to buy a used running atv, now I have been an automotive engine builder for over 25 years. This is my first attempt at working on a motorcycle engine. My cam shafts need to be replaced due to the fact that they are beyond specifications. My problem is the aluminum head and caps for the cam shafts are also beyond specifications. Is there a repair for this or do I have to buy a $439.00 head and caps. I have not done any good at finding a good used head and caps. Now please forgive me but in all my years of automotive engine building have I ever come across hardened steel parts being held in place with aluminum casting, is this a designed future failure so Kawasaki can sell more parts. As I mentioned earlier this is my first motorcycle engine so I was very surprised to find this. I have already replaced the cylinder, piston, and rings and I need to know if I have to buy a new head or is there a repair for this. It just does not make sense to me why anyone would design an engine with hardened steel cam shafts only to be held in place by aluminum journals. Is it just this particular model or is all kawasaki engines this way?Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jimi

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hello all newbie here. I have a 2000 KSF 250 Mohave and I am having a problem with the head. I bought this atv broken because being disabled I do not have the funds to buy a used running atv, now I have been an automotive engine builder for over 25 years. This is my first attempt at working on a motorcycle engine. My cam shafts need to be replaced due to the fact that they are beyond specifications. My problem is the aluminum head and caps for the cam shafts are also beyond specifications. Is there a repair for this or do I have to buy a $439.00 head and caps. I have not done any good at finding a good used head and caps. Now please forgive me but in all my years of automotive engine building have I ever come across hardened steel parts being held in place with aluminum casting, is this a designed future failure so Kawasaki can sell more parts. As I mentioned earlier this is my first motorcycle engine so I was very surprised to find this. I have already replaced the cylinder, piston, and rings and I need to know if I have to buy a new head or is there a repair for this. It just does not make sense to me why anyone would design an engine with hardened steel cam shafts only to be held in place by aluminum journals. Is it just this particular model or is all kawasaki engines this way?Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jimi
I am not familiar with the engine. But if you are asking why the came is riding on the aluminum journals and not bearings that design has been used for years in overhead cam design. I would think machine shop could grind the caps and line bore it . but with all the set up it might cost more than the head. I also remember someone on hear just taking a minute amount of the caps and slapping it back together but I don't know how he made out.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The head design where camshafts run directly on the aluminum casting is pretty common now days, even in most new cars. Cummins even runs the cam in the cast iron block without bearings on their 5.9 and 6.7 diesels that are used in the Dodge PU. Everything is being built to be disposable, and that drives us older guys totally nuts!

The best solution is to purchase a new head assembly, the problem with attempting to machine these is the cost of machining, labor, finding bearing materials with the same expansion rate as the head, and then final fitting will exceed the price of the new assembly. Try the parts folks at Beartooth Kaw, they are pretty competitive and can likely fix you up with head, cams and all for close to what you have been quoted for just a couple of parts. There is a guy out in Oregon that specializes in salvage parts, MIKE'S CYCLE PARTS Phone: 1-800-327-7304, but keep in mind that since these units are attractive to kids they generally are pretty much run to death with inadequate maintenance before they are ever salvaged - but, the last I knew Mikes would offer a guarantee on their salvage engine parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much RCW and honestlyinsane, I really do appreciate it! Looks like I will be saving my money and buying a new head along with the cam shafts. Again thanks to both of you!! Jimi

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
your welcome ,let us know how you made out when your done we need more members in this section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts