Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, im waiting on parts for my kz1100, so im trying to help out a friend, he got a 1978 xs1100e i think, i did a little research i think that is right, but the problem lies that the last time it was on the road was 1983! but we pulled it up the shed used a little ether, and it fired. i was amazed, but the best thing is that i used a old dirt bike fuel tank and it fired up and idled on the untouched carbs. we still have to find half of an exhaust system(its missing a header) and try to clean the tank. i spent about an hour so far cleaning rust out of it!! so we know it will start but my question comes in how can we expect it to run? anything we should look for? i know to change fluilds, and its getting new tires, but this thing has been sitting for **** near 30 years, i figured ill half to pull the carbs, im just nervous ive never mesed with a quad carb system, only single carbs, any advise here. im sorry in advance if i confused you its about 3 in the morning here i still cant beleave it was runing. oh and it only has about 14000 miles on it, and it was garage keep its entire life, his grandfather owned it, and recently passed. he got the bike and wants to put it back on the rode.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Seeing as it's fired up and ticks-over then just run some carb-cleaner in the first couple of tanks of petrol and see how you go, it's passed the hardest test.

Once the tank and filters are clean there shouldn't be too many problems.

Oil and filter as you obviously inferred.

Check the forks and rear-shock for condition and/or leaks, fork-seals might be due after stood so long but if the stanchions are good then a bit of lube round 'em before riding might save any problems.

Don't worry about 4-carbs setups, it's only a single-carb 4 times over, the linkages don't need touching apart from balancing time, doddle m8.

I remember they were wayward old buses like ELR said, a mate had one, but they were built to last. Hope it all goes well.

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,703 Posts
ahh the tilt switch :D and pointy idle mixture screws that would break off in the carb body and a second mention of the pickup wires breaking inside the cover and that mess of an evaporative emissions abortion and the petcock diaphragm and putting a vacuum line between 1 & 4 and plumbing it directly to the vacuum advance and the rear tire had how many bead locks on it ? and a third on the wallows like a bus and epic midrange ? no accident there it's the longest stroke in any ujm inline 4 by nearly 3mm and the brakes on the later models belong in the bin ....

other than that :D I recommend bringing it back to life . They're just weird enough to be cool and again EPIC torque ...

~kop

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so the fuel tank on this thing is shot. I've spent 2 days on it now and there is still rust coming out of it. But me and my buddy cleaned the needle n seat jets and float off of all of the carbs and took it for a run I was surprised at the power it had, I agree its very peppy midrange. All we meed now is q tenk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts