Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the best insurance company to go with if you live in NC? Progressive gave me a quote for full coverage at $3,400. I just did liability, which is only 164/year.

I just bought a new bike and I really want full coverage, especially theft. I cannot, however, afford to pay $3,400/year. My driving record is clean. Not even a speeding ticket.

Any other company someone would suggest?

·
Registered
33 Posts
how did u get your bike off the lot without having insurance? they told me i couldnt take it home till i had some :x

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I have insurance. Just liability right now. I'd like to have full coverage.

Yea, I'm checking on State Farm Monday.

·
Registered
395 Posts
EmyJ said:
i wouldnt go with state farm. they are tryin to drop motorcycles completley
I had no problem with them. My agent is in Cary. Terri LaRocca. Give her a call. There's also a State Farm underwriter here on the forum, but I can't remember his handle. Check some of the other insurance related posts.

Emyj, what dealer you buying from?

·
Registered
33 Posts
its madison? or matison...the one on durant road in raleigh. the one i wanted was actually in durham,but they got it sent over for me coz "they would beat their price".

about tha state farm,im still gonna check in with them to see what they can do because my car insurance is with them. maybe theyll be nice

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They will probably work with since the car is with them. I'm going to talk to them monday about changing my car insurance over to them. If they will give me a sweet deal then I will do that. If not, then I'll just keep my insurance I have now. I'm not paying $3,400/year. In two years I could buy a new bike.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
sometimes when you carry multiple policies with a company, you get a multi policy discount. I carry my home, my wifes car, my truck, my commuter car and my old beater truck PLUS my bike policy all at my Allstate agent. I get a good rate on my bike of +/- $65 month and with a 30 day notice I can suspend the coverage for the wet winter months with no laspe in coverage (just can't ride). I have a good record with no moving violations. I find that $3400 is a tad bit high!

As far as getting the bike off the floor, I was amazed that I got my bike out the door with no insurace either. When I went to my agents office he said that in Washington state, you don't need motorcycle insurance. Seems there was some compromise in the legislature a few years ago when the mandated car insurance they said low income people couldn't pay so they said, OK, no insurance needed on bikes, poor folks can drive them.....doesn't make sense, but is the story my agent told me.

·
Registered
395 Posts
With some dealers, it's just like buying a car. As long as you as you have "some" type of insurance, you're all set. They leave it up to the individual to contact their insurance company. I bought my bike form a private owner, went to DMV and did all the paperwork/got tags, THEN went to my insurance agent. Guess it depends on where you are and who you deal with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts