Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 zxr 750j2 it goes great just one thing its sound a little
ruff when its ticking over as soon as i pick up the revs above 1500
its fine i have been told that all zxr,s are like this is this correct .

its driving me nuts?

i have tryed thicker oil just the same

cheers Glen

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
revilo said:
I have a 92 zxr 750j2 it goes great just one thing its sound a little
ruff when its ticking over as soon as i pick up the revs above 1500
its fine i have been told that all zxr,s are like this is this correct .

its driving me nuts?

i have tryed thicker oil just the same

cheers Glen
do you mean it sounds bad when your trying to start it ?? or is it ticking when you let it idle ? if its ticking at idle then it could be a couple things. how many miles on the bike ?
when was the last time ya had your valves adjusted ?
if it has major miles then your cam chain/tensioner could be going bad
thicker oil will do nothing for any of these problems.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Dropping by a local shop

Dropping by a local shop and buying a tech a coke/pepsi to listen to the sound is a lot easier on the pocket than going in to fix something that dosen't need to be fixed...I'm a big one for delivering a pizza/or havig one delivered just to keep the guys happy and always willing to answer any questions that I have. sometimes I get a quick tweek like on the carbs, for free...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
spdrkt ZX7R said:
You know it's a Kawasaki right? LOL My P5 does something similar. Go here for a better answer than that.
Yeah, kawasakis have always sounded "rattley". Its a sound you come to appreciate. Although if its a ticking sound I would probably go for the timing chain on this one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine sounds the same, got a choice of timing chain, tappets need shimming and there is another chain that drives the alternator and it lives behind the clutch housing............so i'll be ignoring it unless it gets very bad and besides cant hear anything but the exhaust above 8000rpm

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi there
kawasakis are all ruff sounding on idle , and they are more so when cold . If there is any common things that make them more so that will be the shims needing ajusted and on the j, and l models it is dead easy to ajust them no cam removal and the rocker just slips to the side to retreive the shim so dont get ripped off when getting this job done by a garage .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts