Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im installing my new V&H staggards and have a gasket problem the gaskets on the bike from the factory fit inside the head and the gaskets i purchased from CRUISER CUSTOMIZING part # CC-EXG (crush gaskets) do not fit in the head, so what do i do remove the one inside and the new one that will just fit flat againt the head. i have it mounted now with the new gaskets and the floorboard is hitting the pipe and will not raise up all the way im sure this cant be correct HELP

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
You can remove the original gaskets with an o-ring pick.
The new gaskets SHOULD fit into the recess around the exhaust port. If it doesn't, it's not the correct gasket. Sounds like they sent you the gaskets for the 1500/1600.

I know the 900 wasn't listed in the "will not fit" section... but the 1500/1600 gaskets also will not fit the Shadow 750 or Vulcan 2000.

$10 plus shipping? Your Kawi dealer should have the correct gasket in stock for about $12.
Kawi part number is 11009-1856

The 1600 part number is 11060-1119... definitely a different part.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
No way of knowing from the information they provide.

They don't say what they DO fit, they only tell you what they DON'T fit, and they have no way of knowing if that list is going to be complete or not.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Wo'ooo Nelley, you must have the angle wrong on those pipes. You should be able to "almost" fit your finger in between the pipes and the floor board.

Also, you don't want to put a gasket on the out side of the hole. The pipe should sit flush with the engine. Sounds like you got the wrong gaskets.

If you don't have some one to hold the pipe while you insert it, try setting the end of the pipe on something like a box with a towel on it, level with the top part that you are trying to fit in the engine. Then push the pipe straight in. Then put the bolts on, but not all the way tight.

Then work on the back part, bolting them the frame. You can hold the rear bolt in place with a small screw driver, whiile you line up the plate with the holes.

Go back and tighten her up.

Good luck.

D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
No way of knowing from the information they provide.

They don't say what they DO fit, they only tell you what they DON'T fit, and they have no way of knowing if that list is going to be complete or not.
I agree, go buy new ones from your Kawi dealer, and send those back to CC.

D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the new crush gaskets should fit just like the originals correct , the gasket that came out doesnt look like a crush gasket at all

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
so the new crush gaskets should fit just like the originals correct , the gasket that came out doesnt look like a crush gasket at all
The new gaskets should be the same as the old gaskets. How old is the bike. If the bikes pretty new with out that many miles you may be able to get away with the old gaskets. Just be willing to take her apart later and replace them if she has a little leak. There are ways to test for leaks.

D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a vulcan 900 2007 has 1000 miles on it i did start it up sounds great but i can hear a tick in the engine when i get close i dont know if its exhaust or just the way it sounds how can i check for leaks to be sure

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you can't wait, use some hi-temp silicone sealant (auto-zone etc) on your old gaskets and reassemble. Get new gaskets to install when you get the time.
I'm not a big fan a any kind of sealants being put in or around an engine, but I know it gets done. If you do use it, please use it very sparingly. This is not like a valve cover job.

D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
its a vulcan 900 2007 has 1000 miles on it i did start it up sounds great but i can hear a tick in the engine when i get close i dont know if its exhaust or just the way it sounds how can i check for leaks to be sure
Welcome to the 900 engine tick. It will change with different temps. If you smoke, put a lit cig near the engine where the exhaust is bolted on. If there is a leak, it will move that smoke around.

If you don't smoke, blow out a candle and hold it there to see if it moves it around.

You can put some soap suds around there too, and see if they bubble up.

All while shes running of course.

1000 miles on a new bike, I'm betting those gaskets are fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also i did read in a forum here that the floorboards also were close to the pipes and would not fold up all the way maybe mines not fitting right because i have a gasket in the head and the new ones the fit ouside the head

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
If you have an exhaust leak, you will get popping on deceleration.
However, the exhaust systems fresh air injection system can also cause this, as it is literally a controlled exhaust leak.

The stock gaskets don't look like crush gaskets... when new, they look like the new ones that you have, but after installation, they smash down and look like a thin washer.

Get rid of the CC gaskets... they are not the correct part. The end of the header must slip inside the exhaust port.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
also i did read in a forum here that the floorboards also were close to the pipes and would not fold up all the way maybe mines not fitting right because i have a gasket in the head and the new ones the fit ouside the head
Again, you need to loose the CC gaskets. The floor board problem you read about here, was refering to rear floor boards that some members install.

There should be about 1 inch or more of room between the front floor boards and the pipe. The only way they would touch, is if the install angle is off, and that means the pipe is not in the header correctly. The gaskets you have on there could also help create the problem. Do take them off.

D

·
Registered
905 Posts
I bought my gaskets with the pipes from MeanCycles.
Part # Kawasaki exhaust gaskets RO110091856SET
$6 for the pair, and they fit inside the head port.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well today i found a buddy and he has a 06 900 lt and he had a new set of crush gaskets installed and found no leaks but the floorboards still will not lift all the way without hitting the pipes cant figure why i have this problem makes no sense surely they designed better than this

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Go to the dealer, purchase the correct gaskets, install your pipes and you will have no worries. Buy something on-line because it claims you will save a $$ doest cut it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Help any owners with V&H staggards on ther vulcan 900 classic have problems with their floorboards hitting the pipes when they raise them

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Help any owners with V&H staggards on ther vulcan 900 classic have problems with their floorboards hitting the pipes when they raise them
OK. I checked mine. They touch when I raise them, but I can;t think of a good reason to raise them. I thought your original question was about your floor boards touching the pipes all the time, not just when you raised them.

Again why do you want to raise them?

D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i dont i just thought i had my pipes installed wrong that was my worry, thaks for checking your i appreciate it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts