Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this ex 500 off a buddy of mine who didn't have the time to work on it. It had a couple of problems. A little rust in the gas tank, fouled spark plugs, and a little white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I have some mechanical ability, ( I am more of a body man) and am hoping to fix it my self rather than take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cool Cool
Ok What year is it?
How much white smoke? and when?

In what way are the plugs fouling? Oil or dark black soot from fuel?

No opinion on rust in tank as that is easy enough after the other stuff is taken care of..

Don't forget to buy a manual for your bike
Let us know. We are all ears

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FIXER

www.por15.com makes a gas tank sealer for motorcycle tanks, personally I'd just clean teh heck out of it reinstall it and put a good, not a plastic, fuel filter on it, and run soem ethanol fuel through it to clean out the system and keep it clean. Change out the plugs and you don't know how it was ridden and if you need new tires get them right away. Run it hard for while and check the plugs, and check the radiator lid to make sure that it doesn't have a bad seal, IF the biek has some miles, over 3,000 then change the oil and filter and run a good synthetic oil in it, it may clear up the smoke as you get som e more miles on it...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a small kit of the por15 sealer sitting in my front room as we type.

I just thought he should clear up the smoke and fouled plugs first and then worry about the tank. But a fuel filter can't hurt .....

I am kinda wondering about a stuck ring. Won't have a good guess till he responds on the plug fouling.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
STUCK

TRY KROIL by Kano Labs out of TN for your stuck rings...pull the plugs and squirt some into the holes and let it soak a little...maybe a lot..but it should free them up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts