Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Here We Go Again

2K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  deacon00 
#1 ·
Ugh... Something is wrong with me!!! Well... maybe not. There are serious reasons - one actually - why I am contemplating the sale of my beloved Dory, and it boils down to one statement: I miss riding with my wife. :cry:

Yep. My 650R may be going on the selling block soon (yo Saki.Girl... you've always said you get dibs). And the sad fact of the matter is that it is a GREAT BIKE!!! It says a lot about a two-wheeled machine when you can empty the tank, refill, and go another full tank with complaint about the back or the hind-end. It is a total blast in the twisties, amazingly easy to maneuver in traffic, has great mileage... I could go on forever.

Unfortunately, it does nothing in terms of comfort for the wife. She never could get used to the leaned forward position, and the stiff suspension rattles her spine on even the smoothest of roads. :( She was happiest on a cruiser, which is the way I am to go in the next couple of months.

The worst of it. After the experience on the 900, I'm firmly in the belief that I should stay in a comparable engine range for whatever cruiser I might select. That virtually kills off a Kawi :mad: (unless I bite a bullet and return to the Vulcan 500). I know that mods are available to change the ergos on a larger bore machine, but funds will be restricted for the foreseeable future (let's thank X-Mas, taxes, and a trip to Israel). I want to maximize the chances that I'll be outright happy with whatever I get, before any mod.

And the truth is, based on experience, that I've only been truly comfy on a stock bike that had less than 900cc's.

The likely candidates - Suzuki C50... ugh. Honda Shadow 750 Aero... ugh. Yamaha V-Star 650... double ugh!

Check that... there's a lot of posting about the V-Star being really underpowered for two-up above 65 mph. ARGH!!!

Still... riding with my wife along the California coast was the whole idea in the first place ( please bear that in mind as you show up on my front porch to skin my traitorous hide alive ;) ). Guess there really isn't any choice in the matter.

See less See more
#2 ·
Alex, I traded a 2005 C50 for the new Concours. I think you would be surprised at the performance of the 800cc engine. I put almost 11,000 miles on it in two years with never a problem. Of course like most bikes, it needed a few changes to make it fit me. I added Phatt Risers, a Suzuki gel seat, and modified a fairing shaped windshield (at a much cheaper price and better wind protection than the windshields made for the bike). Swapping the rear footpegs from either side and turning them over moves the pegs forward and lower for your passenger.

If you must have a cruiser and like the 800 cc range, the C50 is as good as they get.

#3 ·
Seriously, if the C50 is on your short list, the 900 has to be there too. They are, practically, identical bikes ...give or take a few cc, tank size, and rear brakes (all 3 being lesser on the C50).

Not sure what your 'experience' was with the 900, but it really is the best bike for two-up, 65mph distance riding. I'm not just saying that because of some brand loyalty to Kawasaki ...if I thought there was another bike on the market that is better bang for the buck, I'd tell you.

In the class, the 900, C50, V-Star 650 (although I'd consider the 1100 for 2-up), and -maybe- the Honda Aero 750 (if you really want to go small) are just about the only options you have ...and you've eliminated all of those already for whatever reason.

Good luck with your choice.

#5 ·
The only bike seat more uncomfortable than the Vulcan 500 is the Vulcan 900. When you're comparing the C50, the Aero and the 900 you have to take a close look at price. The 2007 c50 out the door at LA suzuki is $6699, the 2007 Honda Aero is $5999 at LA Honda and the Kawasaki 900 Custom is $6299 at Burbank Kawasaki. So for $700 difference you can have any of these bikes. If it were me I would pick the bike I liked the most and if its the Kaw, then go for it. (By the way, the Vulcan 500 would be a bad choice for riding two up especially on the freeway - its just too small)

#7 ·
Sounds like the "having a baby" theme. Bye-bye 2-dr 2-seater sports car.
Hello minivan!!:p

1. Does the wife have a motorcycle license?
2. Would she be the type of woman who wants to pilot her own bike?

If the answer is "yes" to either or both of the above questions, then you can keep the bike and find her a Ninja of her own.

I have heard that you married types have to keep the Mrs. happy.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not married;therefore, you may not want to consider the opinion of this single guy.:smile: :smile: :shock: :shock:

My view on Motorcycle Evolution from a few decades gone bye-bye
AGE range Type
16 to 30ish Sportbike
30ish to 40 Cruiser
40 to 50ish Harley

I never considered married life as a factor in my view of evolution.

But, now if i was fortunate enough to date or marry a woman, then I hope that she is into motorcycle riding as well (and a babe).

#12 ·
Just be fiscally irresponsible and keep your 650 and get a 2nd bike for 2 up riding. :biggrin:
I hear that.
I really don't care for a lot of the mods I've had to do to the 1600 to make it a suitable touring bike. I was a lot happier with how it was a year ago.

Ultimately, I'll have the 1600, stripped back down as a "local run" bike, a touring bagger (MaKaw, are you listening?), and my wife will have her own ride... right now, the SoftTail Deluxe is looking like the best fit for her in something with a larger engine.

#13 ·
Just be fiscally irresponsible and keep your 650 and get a 2nd bike for 2 up riding. :biggrin:
ABSOLUTELY! this was my methodology. Got my wife riding 2-up, she loved it and decided the 900 pillion was as Rich put it "designed by terrorist interrogators" (now that's stinkin' funny!) anyway, she decided the best way to ride together was her own bike. Now there's a beautiful 750 sittin next to the 900! IMO best way to go (and the 750 didn't break the bank!).

#14 ·
Exactly....keep your bike and grab a used cruiser.

I know you "double ugh"ed the VStar but I think thats just the ticket. Thats what my and my wife ride.

Im 310lbs, give or take a hamburger or two......shes around 140lbs - total weight 450lbs. We ride 2 up all over the place on my 650 Classic VStar. We can run 80 mph all day long without issues. We dont get to 80mph quickly but we get there.

The thing is the VStar are cheap as hell used.

Paid $2400 for it 3 months ago. Its a 2001 with 5200 miles on it.....just barely broke in. Heres what it looked like when I picked it up.

Since I bought it cheap enough I had a little money to spend on a few comfort items....backrests, a set of cheap bags, new bars (BIG improvement) etc.

Still have only around $2900 in it as seen in this picture

You can fix your problem cheaply without getting rid of your bike. Maybe the other bikes you mentioned can be bought used in the same price range, I dont know much about them. I just know the 650 VStars are dirty cheap used.

They arent powerhouses but they will do the job on the cheap.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the input, guys-n-gals. Especially on the insights on the machines I outlined. Tis truely appreciated. :biggrin:

Ah... the pipe dream! 8) I so wish, but it goes a little further than just money. It ain't lack of funds, it's lack of space. I live in an apartment with limited parking, and her tiny car and my Ninja have already taken up all readily usable space.

Nope and nope. :( We tried that out and we found that my wife is the kind of person more suited to riding as a passenger. For one, she has never been able to work a manual transmission (we have TRIED... many times). We tried moving to scooters, but there's the issue that she can love the scenery so much that she'll lose sight of the fact that she IS physically control of the machine. More than once - two-up with me on the back - we've gone off the road, ending with me grabbing the controls from the behind her to recover.

What was wrong with the 900 other than the seat designed by those guys who try to get information out of terrorists?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich... you crack me up!!!

#16 ·
Other people have the urges or circumstances to change their riding preferences too.

By that I mean maybe you could find a TRADE. And trade with someone that has a Cruiser that would like to get back to a Sport bike. You have a very new Sport bike, maybe someone would be willing to trade for a 2004 or 2005 Cruiser, like a 1500.

You talk about getting a small bike, but for two up, a 1500 would be much better at handling 2up situations, like torque for passing cars, handling hard stops better with dual discs instead of Drum brakes on some of the smaller bikes, a little heavier to fight the wind blasts, a little bigger seating position for longer comfort...etc..etc..etc..

Times are tough, I see lots of bikes for sale, and some at very low prices, people just need money nowadays.

We've seen a few people on the Forum switch sides, I think mean1 was one of them.

Can't hurt to ask...:smile: Maybe you could coax Spok into trading his extra 1500 Cruiser for some twisty fun on the 650...:lol:

#17 ·
Sounds like the "having a baby" theme. Bye-bye 2-dr 2-seater sports car.
Hello minivan!!:p

If the answer is "yes" to either or both of the above questions, then you can keep the bike and find her a Ninja of her own.

I have heard that you married types have to keep the Mrs. happy.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not married;therefore, you may not want to consider the opinion of this single guy.:smile: :smile: :shock: :shock:

AGE range Type
16 to 30ish Sportbike
30ish to 40 Cruiser
40 to 50ish Harley

I never considered married life as a factor in my view of evolution.

But, now if i was fortunate enough to date or marry a woman, then I hope that she is into motorcycle riding as well (and a babe).
According to you view I should have a Harley, pass.:lol: Cost to much over here and insurance is through the roof plus I would have to bolt it to the ground when I am not riding it. I love my 900,was doing 150km/90mph yesterday and still had more to go. Best ride I ever had and she don't answer back.:lol:

#18 ·
Ah... the pipe dream! 8) I so wish, but it goes a little further than just money. It ain't lack of funds, it's lack of space. I live in an apartment with limited parking, and her tiny car and my Ninja have already taken up all readily usable space.
Oh, that's easy then, 2 choices:

Option 1: Get an alarm for the car and stick it outside, park both bikes in the garage

Option 2: Move

I mean, really, where are your priorities? :smile:

#20 ·
You talk about getting a small bike, but for two up, a 1500 would be much better at handling 2up situations, like torque for passing cars, handling hard stops better with dual discs instead of Drum brakes on some of the smaller bikes, a little heavier to fight the wind blasts, a little bigger seating position for longer comfort...etc..etc..etc..
Alex, Buddy, I think LGT may be on to something with this one. I know comfort was a big issue on the 9, but small bike + 2 up does not usually = comfort.

#22 ·
Have her learn to ride and get her her own ride...That way this won't be a problem and she can feel the joy of riding as well.

My wife and I went to look at dirtbikes together...We want a hobby we can do and guns seem expensive...So we looked...I am going to get her a Yama 110 and learn to ride...Then as a result I get a larger dirtbike in return. Hopefully at the end of the month or mid next month. She is excited to learn.

#24 ·
AGE range Type
16 to 30ish Sportbike
30ish to 40 Cruiser
40 to 50ish Harley
How about:
16 to 25ish - anything you can get your hands on to learn
25ish to 35ish - sportbike
35ish to 45ish - cruiser
45ish on - both

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.