Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley of Harley Davidson fame came from a small village just outside Cambridge in the UK. My neibough is going up there this w/e for some music festival and said there is a statue with an old HD on it in the center of the village.

This meens HD's are in fact half British. Pride of American motorbiking Pah. hehehehehehe.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Here it is:

It's ingenious the way they have managed to get the sculpture to leak oil authentically. :wink:

·
Thread Killer
1,053 Posts
Not quite right. His parents, William and Susan Scotting Harley, emigrated to the U.S. in 1860. William Sylvester Harley (one of the co-founders) was born in Milwaukee on 29 December 1880. Therefore he was in fact American born, so we're claiming him. Here:

William S. Harley Biography

Nice try. :tongue:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Actually, he was a real poser... an alien. :)
(I believe he was from that motorcyle planet... what's it's name? Ah, ya.
Vulcan.) :mrgreen:

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
i can't find it saying that anywhere online...

interesting if true.
maybe he lived there for a while

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill get my next door neighbough to take a photo of the statue while he is there this w/e .

He isnt a biker but goes to this place quite a lot in his caravan with his mrs for country western gigs. Sado, well he is 68 years old so Ill let him off.

Here is the story here So not strictly direct your right. Never mind 20% Brit then.

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
I heard they have to return the statue to the artist every few months for repairs.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I heard a harley joke the other day that i thought was kinda humorous..

Question: "Whats the difference between a Harley and a vacuum cleaner?"

Answer: The location of the dirt bag.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't be true. If HD's were from England...............they wouldn't run in the rain.......:tongue:
Hehehehe , I just get this image of the bloke at my brothers appartments who has a Truimph and he never rides it because it is always in bits lol . Nice one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've also heard that joke : What is the difference between a Harley and a Hoover? One sucks, the other is a vacuum cleaner.

Imagine if Harleys had Lucas Electrics ......

We have about a dozen Harley owners at my company. Unless it's 70+ out and 0% chance of rain none of them ride - they just wear their t-shirts.

If I didn't ride on days with a chance of rain it would cut out over half of my riding days - I stay dry about 99% of those days too.

Disclaimer : I have nothing against HD bikes and have several good friends that ride them.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've also heard that joke : What is the difference between a Harley and a Hoover? One sucks, the other is a vacuum cleaner.

We have about a dozen Harley owners at my company. Unless it's 70+ out and 0% chance of rain none of them ride - they just wear their t-shirts.

If I didn't ride on days with a chance of rain it would cut out over half of my riding days - I stay dry about 99% of those days too.

Disclaimer : I have nothing against HD bikes and have several good friends that ride them.
I've heard the joke told like this as well:
How are Harleys and Hoovers similar? They both suck.
How are the different? You can only get one dirt bag on a Hoover.

LOL

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts

Swine flu wouldn't be a problem if they would just give it a Lucas part number...

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
That's 'cause yer a Brit and you don't work in the rain. :D
we're designed to work in the rain seeing as we get so much of it.:lol:

i think it's the American designed (japanese built ;)) Harleys that don't work in the rain, otherwise i'd see then every day.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have to say my friend that as a HD never takes it out in the rain or any form of bad weather. His words to me or you dont get a Harley dirty

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Yup me too, the only person i know with a Harley never takes it out unless the sky is blue and cloud-free

However it's currently on the bike lift in his garage (and has been for the past 5 months :lol:) because the head gasket blew :biggrin:

he does all his own repairs though, so credit to him for that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts