Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys,
I have an 85' Kawi 700 LTD.
Just got her for Christmas, and she was trailered down from MI to FL for me. It has been very well cared for, but sat all season long last year. She wouldn't start when she first got here. After going through the starting issues to look for, I put 4 new plugs in and a new battery. She fired right up. She ran fine for 4 days, and then one day I had to jump start her due to not enough juice to turn over.
Then, being the curious girl who wants to know everything about my bike possible, I asked a local parts store guy what kind of oil to run in her since it gets so hot down here compared to MI. He pulled 20w50 off the shelf and said I needed this since it is liquid cooled and this oil has a high viscosity to it. Other than a small knock, she was running great. Did a full oil change last night, took her for a long ride, and all was well. Got her out this morning and after one block, she started stalling, sputtering, and I had a heck of a time milkin' her home. (Not a bad job for a newbie rider eh? LOL :wink: )
Anyway, I asked someone else, and they told me to drain all that crud out as it is waaay to thick to run this time of year, and I did. I added a bit of SeaFoam as well. Now my battery is out of juice AGAIN and I have to jump start her to get her going in order to see how she'll run this time.
HELP!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

vintage guys:

do me a favor and take care of her for me-she's got the fever and wants to ride
and she lives close to me :razz: :wink:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
When you got the who charged it up and for how long? If it was not charged up for 24 hours after the electrolyte was added that is one of the reasons that can cause your battery to die so soon(if its not the sealed kind). Possibly a bad alternator or a short too.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know what? It was not charged but about 6 or 8 hours, so you may have found something already. Will I need to buy another one, or charge this one up for 24 hours?

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
You can charge it and see if it holds....nothing to lose at this point.

Once you get some SeaFoam through the carbs.....you may notice it smooth out.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
the battery only has to be charged 8hrs at 2amps to charge it fully.
as for the oil, its perfectly fine
you need to check the charging system since the battery is not staying charged up. either your stator is not charging,battery cables are loose/corroded,wiring screwed up somewhere or the REG/REC is going bad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts