Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up in GJT for a day this past weekend. Daughter, two grandkids, wifey and I drove through the Colorado National Monument. Lots of snow/black ice-covered roads, lots of sub-freezing temps, even in the daytime. Good thing we were on four wheels instead of two. :biggrin: We were practically snowed in for two days, driving their 4-wheel drive from their house to the lodge (where we stayed) and nowhere else (12-mile trip, with a tall hill to climb to the lodge overlooking the ice fishermen on frozen Crawford reservoir). Snow was knee-deep at their house (some 8500 ft high).

I will get back up there in May for sure, maybe sooner. I'll give you a holler and get in touch before the trip. I will make the trip on two wheels this summer.

Mike

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Unfortunately the last time Driven checked in this forum was 11/25. Maybe he runs through without logging in but I don't know if you'll get in touch with him with this method.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Colorado is beautifull in the summer. I was lucky enough when my company send me upthere this past august and october. In august they send me to central and south and then in october it was mostly in the north side of colorado. I didn't get to do any mc riding due to it was a business trip and they would fly me back on the weekend but maybe this yr or next I would like to go with my bike to ride the million dollar highway!

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would recommend riding to Sante Fe, NM, and up into Pagosa Springs, over to Durango, and up the $M hiway. Only, when you get to Silverton and Ouray, you must stop and take in the views. Very cool places.

I would also recommend taking the West Elk Loop one weekend. It can be done in one day, but why? Take your time and enjoy. I have taken it in a cage, but I want to take it on two wheels.

Gunnison north to Crested Butte, cross (slowly - not paved but not gravel, either) at Kebler Pass, down to Paonia and Hotchkiss, Crawford, cross the dam, and east back to Gunnison. Easily done in one day. The road from Crawford to the dam is unreal. Or, turn north after Kebler Pass and head north/west across McLure (McClure?) Pass for a longer trip. Just as beautiful. On the northeast part of the state, take the Peak-to-Peak highway, thru Black Hawk, Nederland, etc., through Estes Park in into National Park.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last I heard from him personally was about his trip to Alabama. That was October or so. He did post something around Thanksgiving. I don't have his cell number or anything.

I suppose some of you know that my daughter lives about 90 minutes from Grand Junction. She and sonny-in-law and two grandkids put us out there a few times a year. I probably won't make it back until late April or May.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Rocky Rental

I had a business trip in '09 to Denver for a customer in Avon (just past Vail). I rented a Heritage Softail Classic (like mine only newer) And rode over there on I 70. I don't recommend it to the faint at heart, I almost ran off the interstate about 20 times just taking in the beauty ! ! ! ! ! !:mrgreen:

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a business trip in '09 to Denver for a customer in Avon (just past Vail). I rented a Heritage Softail Classic (like mine only newer) And rode over there on I 70. I don't recommend it to the faint at heart, I almost ran off the interstate about 20 times just taking in the beauty ! ! ! ! ! !:mrgreen:
You were so close to the Peak-to-Peak Highway and to the Rocky Mtn National Park! Awesome highways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.