Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving in a few hours to take the Ninja up to JenningsGP for a track day. With a little luck, I'll get to do a "mock" race on her, too. It will be interesting to see how she stacks up against modern bikes. Dang, I sure wish I had me some sticky tires.

I'll do a write-up later in the week.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I hope you come back with pictures. :)

That's very cool. Now that it has cooled off enough to ride, wanting to do a track day is still gnawing away at the back of my mind but I'll probably never do it, at least not with the 900.

So, let's hear how it went!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much later? At least let us know you survived. :smile:
Yeah, I made it.:biggrin: I've just been busy at work.

Wow, what a day that was! Riding conditions were excellent. JenningsGP is in north Florida and the temperatures went from a low of around 60 to a high of about 80 with mostly sunny skies. The track is two miles long with fourteen turns, two of which are more like kinks. About 50% of the track is open and fast. The remainder is tight and technical. Elevation changes are limited to about four feet. Jennings offers good traction, but the surface is very abrasive. It's rough on tires.

I ended up putting the tops of the fork tubes about 23mm above the top of the triple clamp (I finally discovered that the O.E.M. setting is 20mm). Valve spring pressure on the Race Tech, cartridge emulators was set half-way between the recommended "race" and "street" settings. The fork is equipped with an aftermarket, fork brace and old, probably sacked-out, Progressive Suspension, fork springs. Fork oil was Silkolene 10w set to the factory recommended level. Rebound damping on the Works Performance shock was set to six clicks below full hard. The shock's compression damping and length are not adjustable. Total sag, front and back, was 38mm and 35mm, respectively. Tires were Bridgestone, BT45, bias-ply, sport-touring tires, a 120/80V-16 front and 130/80V-18 rear. I've been unable to locate stickier tires for the narrow, O.E.M. rims.

So, how did she do? Well, the bike handled well, but not perfectly. Steering was surprisingly light, but efforts to move my body forward on the chassis, in the manner that I like to ride modern sportbikes, caused the Ninja to feel somewhat "skittish".....like she wasn't well planted. The bike would also wobble a little bit when I took my weight off the seat while accelerating out of the faster turns. The bike definitely preferred to have the rider's weight firmly on the seat and with a somewhat rearward bias. Weird. The rear tire made it difficult to put down a lot of power coming out of the turns, but when it spun, it did so predictably. A day of track riding didn't tear it up much, either. The front tire didn't fare so well. As track temperatures climbed, it started squirming something awful and began looking like someone had taken a torch to it. Putting another pound of pressure in the tire helped, but it's clear that first generation Ninjas are tough on front tires. The only thing that dragged were the footpegs, but.....****.....they dragged a lot! It looks like someone took a file to 'em. I'm thinking that new, proper-rate, fork springs and putting the fork height back to stock might help with both the ground clearance problem and the front tire wear. Altogether, the bike did better than I expected and it was great fun spanking squids on their latest and greatest, racer replicas.:shock: I'll try to post some pics in a few days.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Sounds like you had a good day. Learned a lot, too! Thanks for the write-up, it's something I can only dream of doing.

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
name

I'm leaving in a few hours to take the Ninja up to JenningsGP for a track day. With a little luck, I'll get to do a "mock" race on her, too. It will be interesting to see how she stacks up against modern bikes. Dang, I sure wish I had me some sticky tires.

I'll do a write-up later in the week.
I GOTTA know where you got that handle!! It reminds me of something back in Maine!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I GOTTA know where you got that handle!! It reminds me of something back in Maine!!
It's just my initials and my assigned, C.C.S., race number. It's also somehow relevant to that old, country, variety show "Hee-Haw". I don't remember why, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts