Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
It's a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic!! Workn on getting it back on the road! 36,446 miles.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Don and I just wanted to say hey!! I'm hoping to see a bunch of great bikes and maybe even learn more about my own bike here!! : ) I am currently working on a 2003 Vulcan 1500 Classic!! I'm not a mechanic but I can work on a few things! Lol. My bike right now is ratchet-strapped up to an above-open rafter in my garage, while on my mc jack, of course!! Lol. The nice thing is though...I can lower and re-adjust the jack if need be and re-position the engine for when I'm ready to get it back in place and bolted back up!! I've been cleaning it up as I go, replacing little things here and there like washers, gaskets, o-rings, and other misc. parts as well, if I feel they need or should be replaced! Re-greasing and or oiling things as well! It's been sitting for the better part of 8-10 years now before I got it from my dad's estate and I'm just trying to do right by it, by getting it back to a better state and cleaned up!! Right now the rear wheel, the final-drive housing, both rear shocks, the drive shaft, the swingarm, and the bevel gear housing are all off! I've recently changed out all fluids except the oil and coolant, which I've currently got the radiator off and cleaning that all up and will be putting in Engine Ice after!! Once it's running again, I'll do the first oil change along with new oil filter media, etc, and with all new oil screen/strainer parts!! I'll also add that a friend of mine and I got it running last year (but with issues of what seemed to be the carburetor and an airline issue of some sort) which since then, I have taken out, apart, cleaned, and completely rebuilt with almost all new internal parts!! I did find metal shavings and some small unknown pieces parts, lol, in the oil, which does concern me but...I do realize once it's running again, I may need to remove the engine down the road and start rebuilding it as well!! I'm leaving the wheel and steering head bearings alone for the time being, as they all seem alright for now!! Of course, I can't remember every little thing here but...this is the gist of it!! Lol. Sorry for the BOOK here!! Some of these things I'm doing or have done, I've never done before so it's been a great learning experience for me!! I'm really learning a lot with this bike!! : )

Administrator
Hi Don, and welcome to the club.

If you have any questions, just fire away. The members here are friendly and willing to share their vast knowledge with everyone. Although it sounds like you have accomplished a lot already on your own. Feel free to post pictures of your ride or whatever you are working on. Cheers! 馃嵑

Registered
It's a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic!! Workn on getting it back on the road! 36,446 miles.
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Don, and welcome to the club.

If you have any questions, just fire away. The members here are friendly and willing to share their vast knowledge with everyone. Although it sounds like you have accomplished a lot already on your own. Feel free to post pictures of your ride or whatever you are working on. Cheers! 馃嵑
Hi, and thank you very much!! Yes, I have learned a lot on this bike in the past few months!! Lol. Thank you again!!! Don

Registered
Great forum. I have no answers to your questions, but I'm sure you will get them. Make sure you get a Factory Service Manual before taking any advice, as sometimes people just don't really know what they are talking about, they don't realize it, but the end result is the same.. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great forum. I have no answers to your questions, but I'm sure you will get them. Make sure you get a Factory Service Manual before taking any advice, as sometimes people just don't really know what they are talking about, they don't realize it, but the end result is the same.. :)
Hi, and I have the big thick Clymer repair manual that covers multiple models of similar eras, and it's quite extensive but you know how they don't cover everything! Lol. I also have the supplemental manual as well! I do my research through the forums, Youtube, FB pages, Google, even eBay, and Amazon!! But when nobody makes videos on certain things that are very in-depth like the bevel gear bearing...you get people who think they're "helping" others with pointless videos! You may get a bit of useful info from them from time to time though!! So I do watch most of them to see what I can find out!! As for people not knowing what they're talking about... you're right about that!! Lol. If you think I'm wrong about something though, please let me know!! (IF you were referring to me, that is!! Lol.) Thanks for your tidbit of info though!! I always recommend to newbies or anybody, to always get a good shop repair manual!!! Always!!!

Registered
I always get the Factory Service Manual. If I can find it in .pdf form, fine, if I had to buy a hard copy, then EBAY here I come. Clymer, Haynes, and Chilton cover too many motorcycles and iether leave out important stuff, or add stuff that doesn't apply to your particular mode. :)

Registered
Hi, and I have the big thick Clymer repair manual that covers multiple models of similar eras, and it's quite extensive but you know how they don't cover everything! Lol. I also have the supplemental manual as well! I do my research through the forums, Youtube, FB pages, Google, even eBay, and Amazon!! But when nobody makes videos on certain things that are very in-depth like the bevel gear bearing...you get people who think they're "helping" others with pointless videos! You may get a bit of useful info from them from time to time though!! So I do watch most of them to see what I can find out!! As for people not knowing what they're talking about... you're right about that!! Lol. If you think I'm wrong about something though, please let me know!! (IF you were referring to me, that is!! Lol.) Thanks for your tidbit of info though!! I always recommend to newbies or anybody, to always get a good shop repair manual!!! Always!!!
Try Manualslib.com for a PDF version of service manual , Or , subscribe like I did to cover many motorcycles , and appliances , autos .. lawn equip...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try Manualslib.com for a PDF version of service manual , Or , subscribe like I did to cover many motorcycles , and appliances , autos .. lawn equip...
I actually have that site saved and I forgot about it, thanks!! I'll take a look!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts