Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peoples,

I just got a 1985 ZX900 from my old man (took him a while to let it go). I was wondering if there is any posibilitys to change the front fairing on this beast to a more modern look?
:confused:

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Always possibilities. Questions here are how much money to spend . How much work you want to put in it. What look do you want. Can you modify / make stuff to fit. With enough money and work just about any look is possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always possibilities. Questions here are how much money to spend . How much work you want to put in it. What look do you want. Can you modify / make stuff to fit. With enough money and work just about any look is possible.
Ive got the time and the flow. I overall want to achieve a more modern look, mabey have the front fairing come down more or get rid of the "fangs" on the end of it. My main concern is screwing up the bikes how u say ride profile, like if I installed a new front fairing and it gives me to much lift in the front end and takes away my steering capabilities. Hope that may explain some things.:|

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
In a purely hypothetical sense, changing the fairing COULD change the way the bike handles or how well it cools. In point of fact, at normal highway speeds, it probably won't make any difference. And all that assumes that the engineers actually tested the original fairing in a wind tunnel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In a purely hypothetical sense, changing the fairing COULD change the way the bike handles or how well it cools. In point of fact, at normal highway speeds, it probably won't make any difference. And all that assumes that the engineers actually tested the original fairing in a wind tunnel.
Thats basically what I'm trying to say and ask.
You see alot of different mods you can do to so many bikes but my question is is it safe to do those extreme mods to the fairings.

I have exhausted my self trying to find a diff. front fairing style for this 85 ninja. I have noticed that the older GPZ's front fairing looks like a sutable candadate.

Has anyboby heard of this swap mabey taikng place.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I can't for the life of me visualize all the different fairings. How about posting pictures of the fairing you have and a picture of a bike with the look you'd like to achieve?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You've got what is basically a vintage bike. If it is in good shape, I'd personally suggest you not screw with it. Trust me, I know that need to mod only too well, but you really would be better off with a more modern bike if you want more modern looks.

All that said, if you're bound and determined, try looking at what Airtech has to offer. Nothing will bolt right up. You'll have to make your own fairing mounts, but hey. Lots of possibilities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess Stormdragon has a point. I have a "Vintage bike" Thanks for all your help everybody but it seems i'm going to leave the fairing the way it is. I was hopeing there would be a different style that was a straight forward bolt on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts